Exo+ tires porous!?

• Previous Page
O+ FL
Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 12:44 Quote
So I recently purchased a new bike which came with exo+ tires, which I was pretty excited about as I had in the past been bouncing back and forth between exo and DD with cushcore and exo+ sounded like the perfect solution for me...

However since my purchase I have found my tires loosing pressure at an alarming rate. I would inflate my tires to 30 psi and see them at 20 psi in 5 minutes. I tried adding more sealant, re&re the tires several times and cleaning bead surface and rims, re-taping the rims.. Attempted mounting the tires differently (rotating tire on rim).. Nothing seemed to work.
Everytime I went to my bike the tires were flat. I have gone on rides and had to top my pressures every break I've had.. Before I realized how bad this was I took the bike down some aggressive dh terrain and have banged my front wheel out of true due to riding it with low pressures (thankfully cushcore saved me from full destruction).

Finally I decided to do some experimenting with my tires. With a soapy water solution I found the sidewalls of the tires are super porous, like frothing bubbles everywhere all over the sidewalls. I know a bit can leak from sidewalls, but I have in the past tested my exo tires with soapy water to find leaks and never saw sidewall leaks like this.

For reference I compared the exo tires on my other bike (both minions) with soapy water and found a couple small weeping spots, but nothing like this.

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing a problem like this with exo+ tires?? Has maxxis made a defective tire or did I just happen to get two defective exo+ tires?
Super disappointing as I though exo+ was the answer, but now I simply cant trust them.

The shop I bought the bike from is giving me two new exo tires and dealing with maxxis for the issue. At least I know old fashioned exo can hold air...

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 14:11 Quote
I had this same problem with a Conti Trail King that did same thing. I must have added 14 oz of stans to that tire and at its best would only hold air for a couple hrs. finally i took to soapy water and found the sidewalls were just pissing air everywhere. No abuse of the sidewall on my part either. just crappy sidewalls. switched to Schwable NN and so far so good. I've also had weeping issues with Maxxis HR II EXo but they did hold air pretty well. Just made a mess.

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 14:56 Quote
I have some DHFs in EXO+ with no problems. Maybe you just got a bad batch.

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 22:59 Quote
DHR2 in EXO+ no problem Wink

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 23:05 Quote
Other friends bike with exo+ is problem free and another same model bike in shop with the same tires also all good.
It seems I was unlucky enough to get two leaky new tires.

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 23:06 Quote
Add a bit of extra sealant, and a pile of extra air pressure. Then roll the tire around off axis to get the sealant moving. You will probably see sealant starting to weep out the side wall at this point in time. Now take a hair dryer on extra hot (or heat gun on low) and blow it over the sidewalls. This will help speed up the sealing properties of the sealant and eventually, you wont be loosing air.

This is helpful trick to get tyres that are not tubless ready to hold air.

But in the long term, with a new product designed to be tubeless ready, I would go back to the manufacture and ask WTF.

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 23:15 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
Add a bit of extra sealant, and a pile of extra air pressure. Then roll the tire around off axis to get the sealant moving. You will probably see sealant starting to weep out the side wall at this point in time. Now take a hair dryer on extra hot (or heat gun on low) and blow it over the sidewalls. This will help speed up the sealing properties of the sealant and eventually, you wont be loosing air.

But in the long term, with a new product designed to be tubeless ready, I would go back to the manufacture and ask WTF.

I've already been given two new tires from the shop, normal exo w/cushcore and no weeping.

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 23:18 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
cmcrawfo wrote:

I've already been given two new tires from the shop, normal exo w/cushcore and no weeping.

awesome

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 23:35 Quote
Sounds like you got a defective set. I have been on a dhf/dhr2 exo+ setup and it has been perfect. No weeping at all.

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 6:56 Quote
Well I wont hesitate to buy exo+ next time around since it seems I was just very unlucky Razz

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 14:59 Quote
Take them back, you should be able to get new tires.

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 15:39 Quote
I feel like nobody is actually reading through this thread.. lol

O+
Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 21:06 Quote
Have you considered just taking them back? I bet you can get two EXOs out of the deal.

Posted: Jun 22, 2019 at 11:37 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
I feel like nobody is actually reading through this thread.. lol

Agreed

Posted: Jun 22, 2019 at 15:18 Quote
Yeah, I'd definitely take them back if I were you.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011032
Mobile Version of Website