Tyre sizes and rim inner width

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Tyre sizes and rim inner width
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 23:09 Quote
Hello

Rim set #1 - mavic en827 inner width=27 mm https://shop.mavic.com/en-int/en-827-disc-j32400.html#1028=3283&1035=3806&1039=3514
Rim set #2 - stans no flow mk3 inner width=29 mm https://www.notubes.com/flow-mk3-rims
Cushcore on both wheelsets.


Already have tyres - Maxxis Minion DHF TB85925100 https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-468-140-minion-dhf and DHRII TB85927000 https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-470-140-minion-dhr-ii 2.30 3C MaxxTerra EXO

Considering of Schwalbe Magic Mary https://www.schwalbe.com/en/offroad-reader/magic-mary.html for second wheelset but there're some questions about sizes.
So,
1) 60-584 (27.5 x 2.35, 650B) 11600539.02
or
2) 65-584 (27.5 x 2.60, 650B) 11601010
??

And what combination of rims + tyres you'd prefer?

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 3:41 Quote
Schwalbe says:
bigquotesFor the best use we recommend to use an inner rim width of 25 to 30mm for 60mm wide Magic Mary and 30 to 35mm for the 65mm version.

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/reifenmasse.html

So, for any of my rims there's no point to buy 2.6 ?

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 8:22 Quote
jasminov wrote:
Schwalbe says:
bigquotesFor the best use we recommend to use an inner rim width of 25 to 30mm for 60mm wide Magic Mary and 30 to 35mm for the 65mm version.

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/reifenmasse.html

So, for any of my rims there's no point to buy 2.6 ?
I've got a 27.5x2.35" MM (Snakeskin Addix Soft) mounted on 30mm rim and it's not overly square, actual casing width is 60.5mm, so it's true size, unlike many other tires. I went with the 2.35" (SS) because I had seen reviews saying the knob spacing of the 2.6" was wider so it wasn't as good all-round, plus it's >1000g.

When I first got the rims I swapped over my Butcher 2.3" and I could really feel the corner knobs working without leaning it hard. The MM feels "normal" to me, which is why I said it's not overly square.

You didn't say why you're considering the 2.6", so I can't say there's "no point to buy 2.6" but the 2.35" should be fine.

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 10:27 Quote
brianl wrote:
jasminov wrote:
Schwalbe says:
bigquotesFor the best use we recommend to use an inner rim width of 25 to 30mm for 60mm wide Magic Mary and 30 to 35mm for the 65mm version.

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/reifenmasse.html

So, for any of my rims there's no point to buy 2.6 ?
I've got a 27.5x2.35" MM (Snakeskin Addix Soft) mounted on 30mm rim and it's not overly square, actual casing width is 60.5mm, so it's true size, unlike many other tires. I went with the 2.35" (SS) because I had seen reviews saying the knob spacing of the 2.6" was wider so it wasn't as good all-round, plus it's >1000g.

When I first got the rims I swapped over my Butcher 2.3" and I could really feel the corner knobs working without leaning it hard. The MM feels "normal" to me, which is why I said it's not overly square.

You didn't say why you're considering the 2.6", so I can't say there's "no point to buy 2.6" but the 2.35" should be fine.
2.6 only because of bigger contact area, for grip..

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 12:51 Quote
problem is if you start getting to the upper limit of tire on that rim your traction will start to suffer. Maxxis tries to address this with their WT design but I'm no convinced that by just moving the outer lugs out a little wider is going to help when it comes to putting too wide a tire on a rim that is not made for it. I've got 2.35 NN on a Stans 25mm internal width and feel like I've got plenty of traction.

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 19:58 Quote
If you look at Stans website, the Flow is designed to handle wider tires. I am running a 2.6 Rekon on the front and have been very pleased. I think tire width to rim width recommendations are just that. There is certainly differences in what manuf say works.

Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 0:40 Quote
gmoss wrote:
If you look at Stans website, the Flow is designed to handle wider tires. I am running a 2.6 Rekon on the front and have been very pleased. I think tire width to rim width recommendations are just that. There is certainly differences in what manuf say works.
but if we look at Schwalbe's website ... (quoted before).

Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 6:54 Quote
jasminov wrote:
gmoss wrote:
If you look at Stans website, the Flow is designed to handle wider tires. I am running a 2.6 Rekon on the front and have been very pleased. I think tire width to rim width recommendations are just that. There is certainly differences in what manuf say works.
but if we look at Schwalbe's website ... (quoted before).

that was my point. you get different recommendations depending on whom to talk to, or read on. I don't worry about what the tire folks say, I tend to pay more attn to the rim manuf. Though, I do read all and make my own educated decision on what I want to run.

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010636
Mobile Version of Website