Santa Cruz Nomad or Ibis Ripmo

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Santa Cruz Nomad or Ibis Ripmo
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 11:49 Quote
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some help finding the right enduro bike for my next upgrade. I mostly ride bike parks on the weekends (Killington or Highland) but also do trips to ride trails all over VT (Kingdom Trials, Cady Hill, etc.). On week days, when i can i am riding mellow trails in the greater Boston/eastern MA area as that is where i live Monday-Friday. Currently I have a Scott Gambler, and a Trek Fuel EX 5.

I am looking to upgrade and consolidate both bikes into 1. I was looking into the Santa Cruz Nomad because i do mostly ride bike parks and hear that is an absolutely beast for both types of riding. A friend of mine also recommended the Ibis Ripmo, which i do not know much about other than what i have read on their site.

Any insight into these 2 bikes, or any that you think will be a solid choice, is very much appreciated!

----sorry if this is yet another nomad vs (enter bike name here), i couldn't really find anything on the new 2019 nomad and ive never posted a thread before----

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 12:21 Quote
Both are good bikes. Go demo them and figure out which one you like best for you. If you want to do the consolidation thing, the Ripmo is probably a better choice. It's lighter, 29er, and super versatile.

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 7:02 Quote
If you're interested in the ripmo at all I would highly recommend trying the Megatower over the Nomad.

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 13:09 Quote
I too ride trail in the Boston area and hit up the NE parks and the other areas listed. I have the Nomad4 and my buddy has the Ripmo. The Nomad4 and the Ripmo are VERY different bikes. The Nomad is way more downhill inclined, while the Ripmo is a very fast long travel trail bike. For park riding there is no question the Nomad is the way to go. I actually prefer it over the V10 for most park riding. The Ripmo could certainly handle park, but that's not what it was designed for. Now riding our local trails the Ripmo is the way to go. I push my Nomad around trail pretty good. Even done 40+ miles at KT with it. As long as I'm poking around pacing myself I'm alright. The minute I try and keep up with the fasties I burn all my matches and yearn for a trail bike. Highland rents Nomads. I'd recommend renting one and hit both the lifts and the XC trail to see how it feels. KT rents them as well. Might be able to hop on a Ripmo from the JRA demo days.

Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 5:53 Quote
woodyak wrote:
I too ride trail in the Boston area and hit up the NE parks and the other areas listed. I have the Nomad4 and my buddy has the Ripmo. The Nomad4 and the Ripmo are VERY different bikes. The Nomad is way more downhill inclined, while the Ripmo is a very fast long travel trail bike. For park riding there is no question the Nomad is the way to go. I actually prefer it over the V10 for most park riding. The Ripmo could certainly handle park, but that's not what it was designed for. Now riding our local trails the Ripmo is the way to go. I push my Nomad around trail pretty good. Even done 40+ miles at KT with it. As long as I'm poking around pacing myself I'm alright. The minute I try and keep up with the fasties I burn all my matches and yearn for a trail bike. Highland rents Nomads. I'd recommend renting one and hit both the lifts and the XC trail to see how it feels. KT rents them as well. Might be able to hop on a Ripmo from the JRA demo days.

This was exactly what i was looking for! thank you for the feedback folks, time to go demo!

Posted: Jul 2, 2019 at 0:02 Quote
Nomad 100% for your purposes with that much park riding. Probably with a coil shock.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.008977
Mobile Version of Website