Deer Valley Review

PB Forum :: Downhill
Deer Valley Review
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 15:17 Quote
Any with any experience with the Deer Valley park? Was thinking about a trip there this summer and trying to figure out if the park is the worth the trip. Mostly into flow/jump and some occasional tech.

Thanks

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 0:05 Quote
I had trouble finding out much about the park myself. Only thing I could find was via reviewing Youtube videos.

Since were heading out to Park City anyway for some ski water ramp training mid July, thought I'd bring out the bikes to try it out.

If you're considering heading up later than that, I can give you feedback.

What park(s) are your comparison?

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 11:40 Quote
kwcpinkbike wrote:
I had trouble finding out much about the park myself. Only thing I could find was via reviewing Youtube videos.

Since were heading out to Park City anyway for some ski water ramp training mid July, thought I'd bring out the bikes to try it out.

If you're considering heading up later than that, I can give you feedback.

What park(s) are your comparison?

Usually ride winter park, mammoth and angelfire for week long excursions. I was thinking about going to deer valley for the second week of august since i have a place at solitude which is a fairly short drive in the summer. I am a bit reluctant to commit a week to it though since I am getting the feeling it may be pretty limited and I dont do any trail/pedal riding. Have ridden it years ago but that was before gravity logic put the trails in. Back then it was fairly lame and the canyons had the real riding. That park has since shut down.

Post up your experience for sure. Think I will prolly just go to winter park or try keystone maybe that week.

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 at 19:00 Quote
+1 also interested.

I rode Wasatch years ago and dropped into the bike park at the finish. It was pretty, and pretty boring. Would love to know what if anything I missed, as I have the chance to go back and ride this summer.

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 at 19:22 Quote
last time I rode Deer Valley Utah it was awesome. top section of the mountain used for Pro DH races was an awesome rock garden trail/course that led in to a mix of flow, tech, and drops.

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 9:50 Quote
I keep hearing about a bike park in PC that is no longer. Or at least has been reduced. Is that Deer Valley or another one?

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 21:49 Quote
The bike park that is no longer a bike within the city of Park City was Canyons Bike Park which was Canyons ski area/resort located next to Park City ski area/resort.
Realize that Canyons ski area was combined recently via a new gondola with Park City ski area/resort into a single larger ski area and kept the name of Park City Resort. This was probably just a marketing ploy to claim Park City ski area/resort is one of the largest ski areas. The Canyons bike park was essentially torn down and is no longer a bike park.

Deer Valley is different ski area within the city of Park City. Deer Valley has expanded their bike park with a few flow trails designed by Gravity Logic.

Gets confusing when one just uses Park City when talking about the above areas.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 23:05 Quote
kwcpinkbike wrote:
The bike park that is no longer a bike within the city of Park City was Canyons Bike Park which was Canyons ski area/resort located next to Park City ski area/resort.
Realize that Canyons ski area was combined recently via a new gondola with Park City ski area/resort into a single larger ski area and kept the name of Park City Resort. This was probably just a marketing ploy to claim Park City ski area/resort is one of the largest ski areas. The Canyons bike park was essentially torn down and is no longer a bike park.

Deer Valley is different ski area within the city of Park City. Deer Valley has expanded their bike park with a few flow trails designed by Gravity Logic.

Gets confusing when one just uses Park City when talking about the above areas.

Did you get a chance to ride the deer valley park yet?

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 10:39 Quote
Driving out this upcoming Monday

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 16:33 Quote
What would you like to know? I’ve ridden it about 20 days this year, so far.

Cheers

Buter

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 22:03 Quote
Buter wrote:
What would you like to know? I’ve ridden it about 20 days this year, so far.

Cheers

Buter

What is your review of the place? How does it compare to say Trestle, Mammoth or Angelfire?

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 9:11 Quote
I'd specifically like to know if every black trail in Deer Valley (and the area at large) is basically a groomed flow trail... because that's what it looks like in every video and picture I come across, and I'm not really interested in packing/flying just to ride stuff like that.

If there are at least a few trails with technical riding, i.e. features that make you use your brakes and suspension, it would be worth it for me as I'll only have a day or day and a half to ride.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 10:40 Quote
Hi guys

Ok, the following comments are opinion only, so please take them as such.

I've not ridden the parks listed above; my previous riding was mostly done in the Uk and the Alps, so I've got Les Gets, Morzine, Morgins, LDA, Les Arcs, Wales, Chatel, etc... for comparison.

I really like Deer Valley, tbh. The flow trails do outnumber the raw, tech trails, for sure, but there are some really fun tech trails. On the upper mountain you have Theives Forest and Fireswamp which are a bit rowdy and I really enjoy. Theives has a pretty substantial drop on the first section (the first Hard/Harder sign, I think - the drop is to the right) that requires a bit of commitment. The two trails join up near the bottom and finish as Fireswamp, then off down a fire road to pick up the last little bit of Fireswamp which is short and sweet, but good fun. These are certainly not groomed flow trails.

Also on the upper mountain is Twist and Shout which seems to be a machine built tech trail, if that makes any sense. Many riders familiar with the trails list this as their favourite.

Tsunami and Tidal wave are the groomed jump trails. Tsunami is the black trail and the jumps are sizeable, but they are all tables. This sounds good, but because all the jumps can be rolled, it does allow newbie riders on the trail and it can be frustrating to be on pace to clear the jumps and hit slow riders (sometimes literally!). I really like Tsunami. I've not ridden Tidal Wave as it's been closed. It may be open now, and there's no shortage of YouTube footage. From what I gather, if you were to hit the jumps at pace you'll flat land all of them, so I'm not overly concerned about hitting this one.

The lower mountain basically has 4 runs worth noting: NCS, Old Skool/Pointy Rock, Devo and Undertow.

NCS is a giggle in a bottle - if you want tech, here you go! You hear a lot of guys talk about NCS but rarely see anyone ride it, so the trail is in great shape (well, it was last time I rode it). I absolutely love this trail.

Undertow is the new flow trail that everyone raves about, and for good reason. It's one of the best built trails I've ever ridden. It really is like a giant, downhill pump track that just seems to keep on going. Roller after roller really lets you keep up the speed, but can be hard work pumping a big downhill bike through the whole thing. If you try using the rollers as jumps, you'll find you're much slower. The berms are now, quite predictably, filled with braking bumps and pot holes. Some of us are scouting some gaps and drops that Gravity Logic hadn't planned on - sorry, guys!

Devo starts as a tech trail and breaks off from Undertow near the beginning and the first section is really fun - might be considered a blue at some parks. after you cross a ski slope, you'll see a Hard/Harder sign; Devo continues along the Hard route and, IMHO, is not worth doing, especially on a big bike as there is far too much pedalling for my liking. Taking the Harder route leads you to Old Skool, which is just an old school DH track with a little drop off some kinda concrete platform halfway down. Human nature will force you to have a look at it first, unless you're following someone you trust; it looks like it might be scary, but you can almost roll it.

At the end of Old Skool is Pointy Rocks, probably the most aptly named trail in the world. Crashing on this trail is not advisable for bike or body. It is definitely worth it's black diamond rating, but it's not that long of a section and most riders should be able to get through it ok.

There's a few more trails, so use Trailforks to have a look, but those listed are the notable ones. I really like riding there (not that I've got a lot of other options) and definitely think it's worth the trip. I'd be interested to hear what others think of the park.

Anyway, happy trails and let me know what you think if you go. I'd have been happy to show you around, but I ran out of talent on Friday and now I'm sat here with a broken ankle awaiting surgery and I've ruined a set of Boxxer World Cups and buckled a downhill wheel.

Cheers

Buter

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 20:53 Quote
Mastakiller, here's a review:

Buter has done a good job reviewing the runs.

Deer valley is really a nice surprise and is an up and coming park definitively worth taking your bike out on your upcoming utah trip.

The lifts are bit strange to access lower mountain trails and while the upper lift (stering express) only has 1300 vertical, they managed to really milk out good length runs. The lower lift also having probably about 1100 ft also manages good length runs.

As your familar with Angel Fire, some comparisons:
A. You have your intermediate flow/jump line of tidal wave similar to boulder dash.
B. Black flow of tsunami similar to jump sizes as hungary hippo.
C. Blue fun flow Undertow similar and kinda funner than Devinci's. (Don't pass up Undertow!).
D. Some tech blacks, with the hardest ranked on progression scale NCS similar to combiination of upper supreme/upper world cup with few areas of harder tech lines within that surpass both those at angel fire.
E. A variety of other blues blacks to give good variety.
F. Lacking any wood built features like chutes/ladders.
G. Similarly have no make or else type built gaps like angel fire. Edit: realize if must have missed the run old school as Butler noted a sort of significant drop feature.
H. Actively see the trail crew cutting new trails like angel fire.
I. Dirt is good, some monsoons but dont think get same level or intensity as angel fire.
J. Good trails for beginners learning like angel fire, but feel their Holly Roller green is the best built green i've seen.

Tuesdays run late (till 8 pm).

Crowds really not bad at all. Parking close at snow park lodge.

AND THE BONUS: while not listed online, they are giving 2019-2020 ICON pass holders 50% off ticket price.

Bike wash at base of both lodge areas,

Hope that helps.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016244
Mobile Version of Website