Beginner where to start with parts compatibility?

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner where to start with parts compatibility?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 21:26 Quote
Obviously new and just bought a 2017 Jamis Dragonslayer 26+ sport.

Bike has 26x3.0 tires that are more for trail use and wanted to purchase a used set of wheels and tires for the road as a 2nd set to swap out on different occasions.

Where or what's the terminology and how do I know what fits when looking for complete wheels with tires ready to go? Do I just type in 26x3.0 tires on ebay or wherever for results needed?

Thanks

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 23:02 Quote
https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/dragonslayer26sport.html
Its always helpful revert back to the manufacture / sellers literature to determine what sizes / standards your bike is designed around.

When looking for a new wheel set, there are generally two dimensions you need to pay attention to, Wheel size (diameter) and hub spacing.

The front Hub on this bike is 15x110 and the rear is 12x148. The rim diameter is 26".

Your frame also has the ability to accommodate a 26"+ or a 26" tyre. However, the width of the rim on your new wheel set will also govern how wide / narrow a tyre you can run.

If you are looking for a dedicated set of road wheels, I would skip on the plus size and go with a more traditional tyre/rim width. (say 2.3" tyre or even less, depending on how much of road machine you are trying to build).

When it comes to rim width and tyre width compatibility, there is a bit of room for personal preference/ artistic licence . But this chart will give you a general understanding of how wide a rim you should look for, based on the width of tyre you are planning on running.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/newsletter/tire-size-chart-for-bicycle-rim.html

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 8:29 Quote
Thank you very much, much appreciated!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009456
Mobile Version of Website