For the wheel build experts out there....

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
For the wheel build experts out there....
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 22:51 Quote
Hi.
Which wheel do you think will be stronger?

I bought two Chinese carbon rims from a mate cheap. They look identical. However,
One is 28h and 425gm,the other is 32h and 385gm
All things being equal such as build quality, spokes etc, which do you think will be the stronger wheel?
I already have 32 and 28 hole hubs so I just need to choose which rim to have built up.
Any comments welcome.
Thanks
Kes

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 23:24 Quote
Knowing nothing about the quality of the rim design or lay up, I would go with the traditional school of thought that more spokes is stronger.

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 9:22 Quote
Thanks
Kes

Anyone else?

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 9:25 Quote
I follow the same line of thinking as cmcrawfo

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 5:18 Quote
FWIW, when I built wheels for GravityWorx we saw more cracks in 32 hole carbon than 28 hole. The consensus of opinion at the time was that 32 spokes made the wheels TOO rigid, so they would crack instead of flexing under heavy hits.

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 6:32 Quote
Mmmmm.....
Unsure what to do now!
Can't afford to get them both built up atm
Kes

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 7:41 Quote
fxrextreme wrote:
Mmmmm.....
Unsure what to do now!
Can't afford to get them both built up atm
Kes

Can you not spoke them yourself? Its not a rocket science that it's made out to be.

Depends also on what type of riding you do. It's definitely not proven that more spokes make a stronger wheel. It has been proven, however, that correct wheel tension correlates with how well your wheel will hold up. If you would apply the principle that less is more, you could also question why spokes that are thinner in the middle ( double butted spokes) are stronger. Point being, it's more about flex in a wheel than rigidity and as long as your wheel is built well with correct tension it should never have an issue.

I would give it a go spoking them yourself, then you've got both sitting around. Also gives you some play time learning how its done

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 8:26 Quote
Definitely worth considering. I've always wanted to learn how to do it. I do know that I need the erd of the rims.
How do I measure that?
Kes

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 9:43 Quote
Plenty of how to videos on youtube. I'd imagine you'd want to lace them in a 3 cross pattern.

I find this site helpful for hub/spoke/rim measurements.

https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/spokelengthcalculator

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 14:13 Quote
fxrextreme wrote:
Definitely worth considering. I've always wanted to learn how to do it. I do know that I need the erd of the rims.
How do I measure that?
Kes
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

This article will tell you everything you need to know to build a good wheel, including how to measure ERD and hubs.. Sure, there's lots more to know about the subject than that, but the article will tell you everything that you really NEED to know. This was where I first learned to build wheels after giving up on learning from a manager who only spoke in pronouns..... "Ya put THIS right here, then grab the OTHER ONE and line it up with THIS...." Nothing had an actual name. His world was full of doohickies and thingamajigs...

As for spoke calculators...

https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/

This is the best and most widely useful one I've found. It takes into account spoke thickness, frame offset and other variables that most others don't, and it also covers straight pull spokes. Buy Roger Musson's book while you're at it and you'll have most of the resources you'll ever need for wheel building.

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 15:18 Quote
Nice one thanks a lot!
Kes

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 15:35 Quote
fxrextreme wrote:
Nice one thanks a lot!
Kes

No prob. Wheel building is my "happy place" when I'm frustrated. I hope it hits you the same way. It's nice to be able to get lost in a task and tune out the world sometimes...

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 23:57 Quote
RunsWithScissors wrote:
fxrextreme wrote:
Nice one thanks a lot!
Kes

No prob. Wheel building is my "happy place" when I'm frustrated. I hope it hits you the same way. It's nice to be able to get lost in a task and tune out the world sometimes...

Totally agree- it's very therapeutic and entertaining all in one.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019824
Mobile Version of Website