Father's Day 1979 Raleigh Competition Build

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
Father's Day 1979 Raleigh Competition Build
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 23, 2019 at 11:01 Quote
Hello!
I'm new to the forum, but wanted to share my newly completed build with everyone and get some thoughts and opinions on it. This was a project for my dad and I for Father's Day, we've never fully overhauled/built a bike up from scratch before, so we thought we'd take on the challenge. I picked up a complete 1979 Carlton-built Raleigh Competition Mk.II from a wonderful forum member here with the initial intention of keeping it as-is, but that thought quickly faded away as my hunger for taking on a full build project grew. So it's been the past month of my dad and I completely replacing everything on the bike, and in the end we truly did replace every single part except for the original Reynolds 531 frame and fork. My budget grew about 4 times the initial size, but hey, the end result was so worth it and it lead to some really great quality time geeking out over parts with my dad. It was a lot of work, mostly trial and error as we were both first timers for building up a bike from complete scratch, but I'm so incredibly happy with how it turned out. She rides amazingly well, and it ended up being the absolute perfect father and son Father's Day project!
Anyways, here she is, I'm happy to do a full extensive parts list if anyone is interested. Thoughts and opinions much appreciated! Big Grin

My 1979 Raleigh Competition build.

Posted: Jun 23, 2019 at 11:03 Quote
And here's the before and after! Smile

Before and after 1979 Raleigh Competition build

Posted: Jul 8, 2019 at 7:44 Quote
Proper new-retro build, looks great!

Posted: Nov 22, 2019 at 7:56 Quote
Looks fantastic mate, funny how things run away with your money. I recently took back into my possession a Raleigh mtrax ti1000 that I bought from new some 25 years back. I’ve since spent a small fortune on it, worth every penny though.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009784
Mobile Version of Website