Do V brakes need V brake levers?? i have squishy v brakes

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Do V brakes need V brake levers?? i have squishy v brakes
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 8:08 Quote
on my 2013 giant simpe 7 beach cruiser..

I am having problems getting my v brakes nice and tight hard pull not pulling lever right to hand grip..
i have watched an excellent video on doing v brakes... my questions are as follows.. i have always put the washers in correct... do you need the rotating washers on both sides of the brake show bolt.. - for example on the inside of the show where it hooks onto the brake and the outside??? i have always had the pads flush with rin.. BUT i never had the brakes both move at same time. witht the tiny screws on the side... i can do that,,,.. not sure whatelse causes this..

i am still trying to figure out DO I NEED V BRAKE LEVERS??? are there special levers for v brakes??? if i use regular levers will they [pull right in to hand grip??

my pads seem to be sliding down the rim the harder i pull and not push against the rim causing a hard brake pull... here is a video of how it looks.. p,lease help..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oItDAQTA-hg

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 8:50 Quote
V brakes do need V brake levers, they have a different leverage ratio
You do need the concave/vex washers on both sides
You might have some frame flex, watch the stays when you pull the brake, boosters will help a lot
The screws at the side are for balance, you can bend the spring/small metal bar outwards a bit if there's not enough tension
Salute

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 9:01 Quote
OK.. i got it.. i can see the fact v brake levers are needed.. all the other bikes i have at home ( kids bikes ) with v brakes all had v brake levers.. this new bike is a giant r brand beach cruiser... it has v brakes but the levers are long and ( obviously ) not v brake levers.. whey the h Ell would they put v brakes on it and not v brake levers??? just fior the look? v brake levers lookm more like mountaian bike or bmx levers... regular cantilerver brake levers look more long and sleek but the feel is a pull right to the handle bar... is this normal for beach cruisers????
not sure if i put v brake levers or or leave it?? im gonna call giant and ask..

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 13:14 Quote
The shape and length of the lever does not really identify a v brake lever.
Measure the distance from lever pivot to brake cable end mounting hole.
Compare to your other v brake bikes levers, report back.
I'm thinking you got the washers and spacers in the wrong places.
See how there is a short and a long spacer?
Stack spacers so that the v brake arms are vertical when the pads hit the rim ,viewed from the front or rear.
If the arms are not close to "12 o'clock",your not going to have much stoping power.
The noodle end to cable clamp bolt should be 60 to 70mm as I recall.

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 14:10 Quote
check out the video of how the lever goes all the way in and you can see the brake pads side down the rim.. any idea??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh7YQ8lazSQ

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008941
Mobile Version of Website