schwinn!

PB Forum :: Other
schwinn!
O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2008 at 13:07 Quote
Schwinn used to be a good brand, back when their frames were all handmade in Chicago. Now they're just another Costco/K-Mart brand.
Here's my Schwinn fixed gear conversion.

photo

Posted: Mar 1, 2008 at 15:28 Quote
traildigger15 wrote:
DJer62 wrote:
schwinn's are shit.. i mean they could prolly design a better bike than me but there is deafinitly alot better bikes out there
dude, nothing can beat a schwinn for bang for your buck

yea.. if you plan on spending no more than 350$

Posted: Mar 1, 2008 at 17:17 Quote
well, that's all i have. i want to ride freeride, but i don't have enough money to get a bike with decent travel!

Posted: Mar 13, 2008 at 8:45 Quote
traildigger15 wrote:
well, that's all i have. i want to ride freeride, but i don't have enough money to get a bike with decent travel!

hey man,
I have a schwinn Mesa GSX that i have built up over 3 years. The bike wasn't very great the the beggining, but i have pretty much replaced everything and i go to bromont, my st anne, camp fortune and i find myself going bigger off jumps than some people with a full susopension Giant!
If you are looking for a cheap strong reliable bike to have fun doing some freeride and so on i do recommend a shcwinn mesa. Just don't expect to go huge with the shitty forks they put on it. They do require upgrades, but it had been a great frame for me and i love my schwinn!
Pics coming soon!

Posted: Mar 13, 2008 at 9:02 Quote
If you go to an ibd the bikes are still pretty decent any dapartment store though it in the lake

O+
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 at 9:10 Quote
Any bike company that makes stuff for the lower market an still makes good parts gets flamed and its because people dont want their bikes to look like a crappy bike even though thier not.
Examples saracen. Make very good very light magnesium xc hardtails and also team MAD trials are saracen if they still exist but also make some halfords crap so people hate them. Kona are one of the world best bike companys but people hate them cos they are mass produced and halfords sell them. Dimondback these can be bought for next to nothing yet they also make some really good DH and trials bikes. RST on alot of low end bikes and so they are cheap and not very good but theyre top end forks are supost to be amazing.

would post a pic of my shwinn but still cant work out where i get the number from for the photo so i can post it.

Posted: Jan 18, 2009 at 7:35 Quote
Can anyone tell me if they know the Schwinn Automatic Comp BMX bike? It was made before they went tits up. I want to know if it would be worth fixing mine. It's from 2001: http://bolderbmx.topcities.com/AutomaticComp.html

Mine is Matte Black though

Posted: May 1, 2010 at 8:35 Quote
I've got a Schwinn, but its mainly because it was on sale until i can save for a better bike but can still ride. I had a Devinci Saguaro out west but sold it before i moved to the Maritimes. I think the quality definitely went down but its like everyone else is saying, you get what you pay for. I think with a few part upgrades, they can turn into a pretty decent bike.

Posted: Aug 28, 2010 at 8:22 Quote
planekid wrote:
odin333 wrote:
i don't like shwinn's. they have went down the drain. they used to make half decent bikes but then realised that if they make completely crappy bikes and sell thousands of them to wall-mart that they will make more money.

also, their "amazing high end bike" the rocket is probably the worst design ever. the bottom bracket is like lowered towards the ground. if its on flat ground you probably have around 4 inch's between the ground and your pedals (suposing the crank arm is downward). not to mention if you bottom out that joke of a rear shock that you would smack the chainrings off the ground, but wait theirs that joke of a chainguard.

Heres a picture, (rocket) if im not mistaken its a urt?

Madder Madder Thumbs Down When will they learn urt=no good

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://content.mtbr.com/images/Tradeshow/13/263/prodimg4.jpg

i have a rocket Lst and its the best bike iv ridding in terms of suspension workings i put dh forks on it and race dh on it and win!!!
photo
and then put shorter forks on it and use it for slopestyle!!
oh and now i got this for dh now but the rockets still good i use it for slopestyle.
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.singletrackworld.com/files/2009/09/DSC_1676-648x433.jpg

Posted: Aug 28, 2010 at 8:38 Quote
Schwinn own GT and Mongoose...am I correct?

Posted: Aug 28, 2010 at 9:03 Quote
kinetic-uk wrote:
Schwinn own GT and Mongoose...am I correct?
No, but Schwinn, GT, Mongoose, and Cannodale are all owned by the same parent company. Dorel

Posted: Aug 31, 2010 at 18:09 Quote
Schwinn's back in the 70's were very great high end bikes actually. Only a few kids on the block had a Stingray! But I agree, in the past 12 years or so they have damn hit bottom!

Shame actually. But that is what happens when CEO's run a company in the ground!

Posted: Jul 21, 2013 at 21:03 Quote
Almost 2 years after buying my 2006 Schwinn Rocket LTD, I think I am finally done getting it were I want it. Took it for ride around Otay Lakes and Proctor Valley. Full Specs below the only stock parts left are the front derailleur and the seat post clamp. Love the new Shimano Saint pedals and the RaceFace BB is super smooth now that is broken in combined with tires that weigh only 460grams makes pedaling easy. In all weight comes in at 28.4lbs and rides great similar to my Mongoose Teocali, but the geometry is a little more XC orientated than the Teocali, so there is an adjustment period when switching from bike to bike.

2006 Schwinn Rocket LTD (ISO Drive Medium Frame)
Fork 2012 RockShox Revelation RLT Dual Air 140mm with Motion Control DNA
Rear Shock 2009 Fox RP23
Brakeset 2012 Shimano SLX IceTech M666 with Shimano XT RT81 IceTech 180mm rotors
Shifters SHIMANO XT SL M770 9 Speed
Front Derailleur Shimano Hone M600
Rear Derailleur Shimano XT M772-GS
Crankset 2010 Shimano SLX FC-M665 Crankset 36-22-bashguard
Pedals Shimano Saint
BB RaceFace Turbine X-Type
Rear Cogs Shimano Deore XT Cassette HG CS-M770 11-34T
Chain 2011 Shimano DURA ACE XTR 9 speed
Seatpost Kind Shock I900R with a modified SR Suntour Remote
Saddle Shimano Pro Components VultureMax
ODI lock on grips
Handlebar FSA AfterBurner
Stem FSA AfterBurner 70mm
Headset Cane Creek ZS 44
Hubs Shimano XT
Wheels Shimano XT M785
Tires 26 x 2.20" Continental MountainKing 2.2 Supersonics with Conti lite tubes
2006 Schwinn Rocket LTD
  2006 Schwinn Rocket LTD

2006 Schwinn Rocket LTD
  2006 Schwinn Rocket LTD

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/mongoose-schwinn/817683d1374360417t-post-your-schwinn-pics-here-schwinn-rocket-3-.jpg
2006 Schwinn Rocket LTD
  2006 Schwinn Rocket LTD

2006 Schwinn Rocket LTD
  2006 Schwinn Rocket LTD

2006 Schwinn Rocket LTD
  2006 Schwinn Rocket LTD

2006 Schwinn Rocket LTD
  2006 Schwinn Rocket LTD

2006 Schwinn Rocket LTD
  2006 Schwinn Rocket LTD

2006 Schwinn Rocket LTD
  2006 Schwinn Rocket LTD

2006 Schwinn Rocket LTD Cockpit
  2006 Schwinn Rocket LTD Cockpit

2006 Schwinn Rocket LTD
  2006 Schwinn Rocket LTD

Posted: Mar 13, 2014 at 18:53 Quote
Schwinn still makes good bikes I work at a bike shop that sells them they don't do a whole lot of MTB though but they do have 27.5 ht they still are a decent brand just buy them from a bike shop and not walmart

Posted: Mar 13, 2014 at 20:36 Quote
A guy on the school team just sold his fully loaded Flash 29er for a carbon Schwinn. It's got better specs, lower weight, and was much cheaper (or so he tells me). Definitely a come back for Schwinn

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021301
Mobile Version of Website