YT Tues Sizing for 6’4” Rider: XL or XXL?

PB Forum :: Downhill
YT Tues Sizing for 6’4” Rider: XL or XXL?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 12:57 Quote
Hey guys,

I’m looking to get a new DH bike. I recently bought a used XL Specialized Demo 8 Carbon, which feels way too short for me (460 mm reach, 614 mm stack). I even added a 60 mm stem and still feel crunched on it.

The XL YT Tues has a reach of 474 mm with a 621 mm stack.

The XXL Tues has a reach of 495 mm with a 625 mm stack.

I’m exactly 193 cm tall (about 6’4”) without shoes on. I pretty much ride only park and freeride (not a racer).

The YT size chart recommends the XL for riders up to 193 cm tall, whereas the XXL is recommended for riders between 192 cm and 202 cm tall.

Any input appreciated!

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 at 15:43 Quote
Hi,

If you felt the 460mm demo was just a bit short, i could see how the 474mm tues would be good for you, but since you report feeling way crunched on it, id recommend the XXL Tues for you.

I am 184cm with longer limbs and shorter torso and i currently ride a 2018 NS Fuzz in the longest Setting with 474mm reach and 616mm stack and it feels real good for me on any Kind of Terrain, be it jumps, mellow trails or steep DH. However it is awkward and difficult to maneuver through slow and tight corners.

My old bike had 440mm Reach and i didnt feel crunched or felt that it was short, and still the jump from 440mm to 474mm still was super good for me. So for you being taller, you should probably go for the bigger sizing up too, in your case the XXL.

However, you probably dont Need to. a guy my size would have been riding a 400mm - 420mm reach bike just a couple years ago, and would have argued it was better than Long geos, due to it being more flickable and the lack in stability in any Speed exceeding 10kph would just be compensated by rider skill. so was the Argument in those days, These days it is reversed, stable dependable geo is sought after and in tight Corners you have to Bridge the gap with rider skill.

What im trying to say is you are probably good with either size, and the XXL would be a) with the Zeitgeist and b) totally possible and youre gonna like it, but ist not all important.

Except when racing. the fuzz just gifted me 5 seconds on one Minute riding DH track compared to my old bike, even though the build of the old bike was better.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 13:34 Quote
I'm also 1.93 tall and I think the XXL is a better fit. My Kona is a XL with 485 and 629. Currently running a short and tall stem as I'm pretty sensitive to bar height but not so much reach.

Posted: Jun 28, 2019 at 11:25 Quote
I am also 193cm, but with relatively long legs, so I can get away with a little less reach and a higher rise handlebar. The best thing you can probably do is to try demo the tues, or at least bikes with the same stack/reach numbers to get an idea what fits best.

Lee McCormack has a few interesting articles about bike size/setup, although he admits he recommends slightly shorter frames than what is currently fashionable:

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/leelikesbikes/blog/

Posted: Jul 3, 2019 at 3:37 Quote
I have a 470mm reach bike and I'm also 193mm, I think I'll sell it and look for a longer bike :/

Posted: Jul 3, 2019 at 8:24 Quote
I’m 6”2 and have a 29” Long, it doesn’t feel too big. You’re a pretty tall dude, have you considered the 29er?

Posted: Jul 6, 2019 at 13:51 Quote
ric-b wrote:
I’m 6”2 and have a 29” Long, it doesn’t feel too big. You’re a pretty tall dude, have you considered the 29er?

I'm not sure if I'll sell the shorter bike in the end

Posted: Jul 8, 2019 at 14:34 Quote
Hey guys,

Here’s the update:
I got the XL, replaced the 35mm bars with 40mm bars AND added a 10mm stem spacer. I also rolled the bars forward slightly.
It feels PERFECT. Long enough to feel comfortable on but still short enough to flick around. Stack feels great too.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Posted: Jul 8, 2019 at 14:39 Quote
Hey guys,

Here’s the update:
I got the XL, replaced the 35mm bars with 40mm bars AND added a 10mm stem spacer. I also rolled the bars forward slightly.
It feels PERFECT. Long enough to feel comfortable on but still short enough to flick around. Stack feels great too.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 10:01 Quote
Good to hear. Did you compare with the xxl too? I see that the frame comes with a ZS49/ZS56 headset , so there is enough space to replace it with a +1cm reach adjust headset if needed.

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 22:12 Quote
Aptlynamed wrote:
Good to hear. Did you compare with the xxl too? I see that the frame comes with a ZS49/ZS56 headset , so there is enough space to replace it with a +1cm reach adjust headset if needed.

I didn't have a chance to compare with the XXL because I had to order the bike online. I did, however, email a YT rep with my sizing inquiry (basically the same thing I wrote in my original post here), and he recommended the XL for my height (unless I was racing, in which case he would recommend the XXL). Super friendly service.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.009633
Mobile Version of Website