Buying a new "Do it all" trail/all mountain bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Buying a new "Do it all" trail/all mountain bike
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 0:57 Quote
Hello folks,

I'm looking to buy a new bike - will be my only one, but the more I read about different bikes, the more I'm undecided to what actually get. I've demoed few 29ers and a Canyon Spectral CF 7 (2019, L size). Didn't like 29 wheels - felt too big as I currently ride 26 wheels. Maybe I get used to them? Also the Spectral is praised everywhere, but when I rode it - it felt slightly too high when pedaling. Jeffsy 27 AL is sold out (was the first one I looked at), the 29er AL has old geo (reach 445 in L seemed short). I'm from Europe, so Diamondback bikes for example are not available to me - seen positive stuff about those. My budget currently is around 2500-3000 euro.

These are my contenders (RIPMO is pricier than my budget though) - I'm 183cm tall:
== 27.5 wheels ==
Santa Cruz 5010 in L
Whyte T-130 SR in M
JEFFSY 27 CF COMP in L

== 29 wheels ==
IBIS RIPMO in L (around 4k euro for NX build)
CAPRA 29 AL in L
COMMENCAL AM/TR 29 in L (the essential one is 3200 euro)
JEFFSY 29 CF COMP in L (around 3k)

I ride trails and freeride/downhile (not the hardest stuff, intermediate at the moment). I started out few months ago. I appreciate any kind of input from riders, as currently I'm kinda stuck in the decision process, so even alternatives would be great. I was leaning towards the 5010, but the lowest alu spec is not available (only frame) - so maybe some similarly "feeling" bike?

Cheers

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 3:20 Quote
Many reviewers prefer the “older” Jeffsy geometry over the newer model because it is a) more playful and b) less hard work to ride.

Longer lower slacker is great for gnarly downhills, but it does come at a cost, no matter what marketing departments tell us. Already with modern geometry we have to “ride the front wheel” to stop it washing out on turns. Longer lower slacker means we have to do this even more.

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 8:23 Quote
^ You will be more comfortable at speed with modern geo. Most prefer the way modern geo climbs, depends on the bike I guess though. A steep seat tube will completely erase the negatives of climbing a long slack bike, everywhere besides an uphill switchback.

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 10:13 Quote
I think 29r's are the more modern choice over 27.5" So I would go 29 to future proof your choice.

Ibis Ripmo will most likely have the best resale value down the road & has had nothing but good reviews & great customer support if any issues happen.

Most riders get upgrade-itus down so you'll have plenty of incremental upgrades if you choose to as well.

Posted: Jun 28, 2019 at 18:07 Quote
The Ripmo is an an awesome 'do it all' bike. Outside of my price range but had the chance to ride a few trails on mates high-end build and it is an incredibly efficient and fun machine. I'd be pretty confident in saying that even with a downgraded spec list it would be a hell of a lot of fun for a very long time.

I just went through a similar bike choice process, except I knew I wanted a 29er. End up narrowing it down to either the Capra, MetaAM or a 2nd hand RM Instinct BC. Eventually settled on the Capra (AL) due to cost/parts spec/avilability and it's due in about 12 days. Can't tell you if I've made the right choice yet, but I really feel that you can't go too far wrong with any of your choices, and they'll all be more than capable.

Posted: Jun 29, 2019 at 16:07 Quote
Look at airdrop bikes. Great do it all bike and very reasonable. Frames are used in at least one other well known brand. I love mine. Customer service is very good

Posted: Jun 29, 2019 at 16:55 Quote
If you're coming from a 26" and don't currently like 29", I would personally recommend 27.5". Sure, the market is making 29ers seem like the best, but 27.5 isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I just bought a 27.5" Giant Trance 2019 size large about 2 months ago and my next bike will probably be another 27.5". I'm the type of rider to like to get lots of air, so smaller wheels means it's easier to throw around while flying through the air, and the longer travel for the same discipline (150mm fork for 27.5" vs 130mm fork for 29") means I can soak up bigger drops

Posted: Jun 30, 2019 at 12:41 Quote
Thanks a lot for the input. It helped me to narrow down my choice to either SC 5010 alu, Whyte T130 SR or Ripmo NX/GX kit. Ripmo in reviews doesnt feel like a 29er to the riders so thats why it made the list .. only positives in reviews and its quoted to be nimble and reactive even with slower speeds (what seems to be a issue with a lot of bikes - you have to ride it fast and aggresive for them to come alive).

Anyone ridden 5010 and T130 by chance? T130 in M and 5010 in L seem to have quite similar geo.

Posted: Jul 4, 2019 at 20:05 Quote
If you do trails and freeride/downhill the Capra would be my choice.
Depending on the trails you downhill ride on the 5010 might not be enough bike,
The Capra is a real good climber and bombs the downhills.
I actually ride a 2018 AL6 Spectral and really like it but would recommend a Capra if your doing downhill/freeride.
My buddy has a Capra and I have ridden it a few times. Climbs very good considering its got a 170mm fork.

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 3:46 Quote
Hey, I have test ridden a T-130 CR and loved it. Was an awesome bike and I would have one in the shed right now if the budget allowed for it.

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 10:39 Quote
I had a 2016 Santa Cruz 5010. It was the best bike I'd ever ridden. I tried a few 29ers at the time but I really like how nimble the 5010 felt. It climbed great. After three years, I grew to want more travel. I ended up getting a Ripmo this year after reading reviews. Never did a test ride. Now 6 months in, the Ripmo is the best bike I've ever ridden. It handles and climbs and descends better in every way over the v2 5010. It is as nimble on tight turns and switchbacks. It carries WAY MORE speed than the 5010. I cut 2 minutes off a 17 PR minute lap time after switching to the Ripmo.

The 5010 was wonderful and likely still is wonderful. I upgraded from 130mm/130mm 27.5 because I wanted more and the Ripmo delivered. I have not ever felt like it was too much bike.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008966
Mobile Version of Website