Transitioning from 26er to 27,5

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
Transitioning from 26er to 27,5
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 30, 2019 at 1:56 Quote
Thinking about the benefits of upgrading from my 26er to a 27.5. Guess I'm a little late to the party but what else is new? Does anyone have some good examples/experience of the advantages of such a change? My riding style is a lot of climbing, flowing the downhill- rear tire doesn't leave the ground too much other than manuel's and popping off roots and stuff. Been riding Santa Cruz since 97. Thinking about the new 5010.

Posted: Jun 30, 2019 at 1:57 Quote
Checking to see if this works.

Posted: Jun 30, 2019 at 9:36 Quote
Get the 5010, I still ride a 1999 Rocky Mountain Element with 26 but it can’t compare to my 2014 Altitude with 27.5. There is nothing wrong with 26, but I prefer a bigger wheel. It isn’t worth converting my Element though.

Posted: Jun 30, 2019 at 17:41 Quote
Thanks for the feedback. Nice to hear your still cruising the 99 Element. I'm gonna wait for the price of the new 5010 frame to drop a little after the dust settles from the new frame design frenzy. Rocky Mountain bikes have always caught my eye. So glad to see them still pumping along.

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 11:47 Quote
i just switched to 27.5 because i couldn't find parts for my old bike and although i cannot say there is an very noticeable difference between 26 and 27.5, i can say that the modern geometry did make a huge difference and improvement

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 15:51 Quote
I made this transition in 17 to a 5010. To me at that time, 29 seemed too big and I would not listen to anyone that suggested it. Like said, not a big change in wheels, but a big change in the bike - old 26 to new 27.5. I came off of and still have my old Superlight.

After riding the 5010 for a year, and riding with other guys on 29's, I realized there was a difference. I have moved from the 5010 to a Tallboy, which was awesome, and now to a Hightower LT. Wish I could have kept the TB, but I cannot complain at all. Being 6', the 29 makes me feel more in the bike, rolls over stuff better and carries momentum better than the 5010 did.

Also, sounds like I ride very similar as you.

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 15:59 Quote
Made the change fairly recently. Sold my 26" hardtail last summer but only got my new 27.5" about 3 months ago. Had numerous changes other than wheel size, 2011 to 2019 geometry, hardtail to full sus, 3x9 to 1x11, mechanical brakes to hydro, etc. Only thing that didn't change was weight, damn my Norco was heavy, and my new bike is still aluminum.

I've noticed its much easier to get over logs, due to both larger tires, as well as ditching the triple crankset. Would not go back for a trail bike, but for dirt jumping 26" is better

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 19:13 Quote
Recently made the switch from my old S-Works Stumpjumper 26er, to a 27.5 trail bike. I noticed my confidence grew quickly on the new bike. I also just switched from riding XC type stuff in the prairies to riding the roots, and rocks on Vancouver Island. The 26er certainly forced me to change my riding style in a hurry out here before I made the switch.

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 23:31 Quote
Had been out of general trail riding for some time as had gotten into downhill/park riding (still on 26" with a dh bike and could personally care less about going with a bigger wheel for downhill).

However, this year upgraded an older 26" trail bike to a 2018 Giant Trance Advance 2 with 27.5" wheels.

Feel there has been a positive improvement, but not sure really how much of it is the 26" wheel change to 27.5". New bike has better geometry (for downhill aspects), lighter bike with 1/2 carbon frame, lighter carbon wheelset, and simplier to use 1x11 drivetrain all making the ride nicer.

The bike still doesn't magically ride itself uphills, and as I'm just getting in better uphill riding shape it is really hard to say how much of my personal improvement is related to the slightly bigger wheels.

Posted: Aug 5, 2019 at 9:37 Quote
I recently updated to 27.5. I have a '15 Canfield Balance that was designed to run 26 and 27.5. I put on a new boost fork, Azonic Outlaws, Maxxis 2.5 WT Aggressor and DHF, and went tubeless.

First time out was just last Sunday....

...and I immediately ate shit! LOL!

20psi front and rear was too low! Taking it mellow and landing from a jump just slightly crossed up led to the front tire folding, then the front end just tucked. Down I went.

Upped the PSI to 25 front and rear then headed out again. Now it pedaled better of the fire roads and didn't feel so sloppy and drifty. But there are some things I did notice....

* The larger wheel size (more rotational mass fighting you) takes a good bit more input to turn in and get the target line on fast flat sweepers. This was to be expected actually, but it does feel strange when previously a certain degree of input put you right on line, but now feels like I'm just running wide.

* Air pressure is CRITICAL on the 2.5 and 2.6 tires.

* A new sensation for me is feeling like the tires themselves are hanging up on rocks. This is likely the tire conforming to the surface, but it feels at first like the tire has stopped.

Ultimately, I'm still out too sea on the setup. All of these changes at once means way too many variables to begin to make sense of. For now, I'm going to focus on bar width and tire pressures. After that, I will jump into tweaking the fork a lot more (starting with more low speed compression damnit!).

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010656
Mobile Version of Website