Best way to benefit from the Recluse

PB Forum :: Intense
Best way to benefit from the Recluse
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 2, 2019 at 11:42 Quote
I have a 2018 Intense Recluse.
I've had it for over a year now.
I see a lot of mixed reviews about it, the suspension especially. Small bump compliance, etc.
I'm not a great climber, nor fast, but I still keep pedaling. Sometimes I feel the bike a little sluggish, gritty... (If that's a correct term for this.)
I have a pike up front and a fox factory dps evol shock. The rest is foundation build specs.

For the recluse riders out there how do you benefit most from this bike? Any upgrades, tweeks you recommend? I love this bike, and I feel that I may not be riding it at its full potential. I ride in socal.

Thanks.

Posted: Jul 3, 2019 at 13:35 Quote
Retorque the pivots preload make sure it's not too tight.
I have a -1.5 angle set a offset bushing to lower it a little.
Also have a needle bearing in the bottom shock eyelet makes a huge difference. A huge difference.
Make sure your bars aren't too wide. I was running 780mm and fine with it. Then I read something about most people running too wide bars so I cut them down by 40mm.

Once again a huge difference for ME. Cornering is way better it just feels more nimble.

If you want to keep the bike upgrading to lighter wheels could add some pep as well as not running downhill case tires ect.

Posted: Jul 4, 2019 at 12:38 Quote
Thanks, I'll definitely retorque. I'll also look into the needle bearing. Seems interesting.
I've got similar length bars as yours.
I know the recluse has so much potential, I would like to get it there.

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 19:41 Quote
My 2019 Recluse came with a crappy headset so I put a king in there. I don't like the seatpost in my medium, wish it was an inch shorter like 16.5 I do like the other geo and looked at transition and commecal etc. I hit jumps and climb and ride twisty stuff and doing pretty good on this bike, I love the wheelbase too. Hope you can figure it out. It's a pretty sweet bike if you cannot own a bunch of different bikes.

Posted: Nov 30, 2019 at 18:44 Quote
I have a spider 275 and wondering if the needle bearings would make a difference in that bike too? What kind of difference did it make?

reverend27 wrote:
Also have a needle bearing in the bottom shock eyelet makes a huge difference. A huge difference.
Make sure your bars aren't too wide. I was running 780mm and fine with it. Then I read something about most people running too wide bars so I cut them down by 40mm.

Once again a huge difference for ME. Cornering is way better it just feels more nimble.

If you want to keep the bike upgrading to lighter wheels could add some pep as well as not running downhill case tires ect.

Posted: Dec 1, 2019 at 6:16 Quote
nashwillis wrote:
I have a spider 275 and wondering if the needle bearings would make a difference in that bike too? What kind of difference did it make?

reverend27 wrote:

Yes they make a big difference. Totally worth it.

Posted: Dec 5, 2019 at 9:55 Quote
In another thread for the spider someone mention to use the rwc needle bearing only on the top as the bottom doesn’t move much. I would think recluse and spider are about the same. Could I just do both?
reverend27 wrote:
nashwillis wrote:

reverend27 wrote:

Posted: Dec 5, 2019 at 10:49 Quote
nashwillis wrote:
In another thread for the spider someone mention to use the rwc needle bearing only on the top as the bottom doesn’t move much. I would think recluse and spider are about the same. Could I just do both?
reverend27 wrote:
nashwillis wrote:

just one. The top doesn't need it and wouldn't be good for the bearing taking the frontal load.

Posted: Dec 21, 2019 at 20:47 Quote
Which exact needle bearing is it? Size, etc? I'm unfamiliar with this set up. Also where would I install it? Top-left, bottom-left, or the single top right? I don't know how to post pics that way I know where to install the needle bearing.

reverend27 wrote:
nashwillis wrote:

reverend27 wrote:

Posted: Dec 22, 2019 at 6:43 Quote
It's a rwc needle bearing it goes in the shock eyelet connected to the swing linkage instead of a bushing.

As far as the size can't remember don't have a recluse anymore.

I managed to find it with Google. Go educate yourself.

Posted: Dec 22, 2019 at 10:42 Quote
reverend27 wrote:
It's a rwc needle bearing it goes in the shock eyelet connected to the swing linkage instead of a bushing.

As far as the size can't remember don't have a recluse anymore.

I managed to find it with Google. Go educate yourself.

Google is a school of education?

Posted: Dec 22, 2019 at 14:16 Quote
Yes if you are smart enough to sort the bad info from the good Info.

I was a poor cook but I started studying techniques and recipes and everything I could find about food on the internet.
Now 5 years later I make $30hr. #selfmade

I found the bushing size I needed on the internet.

Go see if you can do it.

Merry Christmas

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010037
Mobile Version of Website