Salsa Mukluk vs Specialized Fatboy

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Salsa Mukluk vs Specialized Fatboy
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 2, 2019 at 14:23 Quote
Thoughts on which you would rather ride?

Cheers,

James

Posted: Jul 7, 2019 at 19:37 Quote
Depends a great deal on which model of each. The low-end Fatboys continue with Specialized's horrible cost-cutting. Stupid decisions like 9mm quick-releases front and rear. Want to eventually put a Bluto or other suspension fork on there? Time to change out the hub (unless they are finally offering endcap conversions). And if you don't step up to the carbon Fatboy, the low-end models probably still have cheesy bottom bracket bearings that won't last a season.

Step up to the carbon model for each manufacturer, and it's probably much more equal. Except that the Fatboy carbon sizes down to 4.0" tires. Dumb. It's all about float in the snow. Nothing less than 4.5" in my experience. Overall, for real winter riding, I think Salsa has the Mukluk better sorted. I ride a first model year Fatboy. Had to upgrade a lot of it for it to be trail/snow-worthy. Have a friend with a Mukluk Carbon. Other than wishing it had lower gearing (it's a couple years old, before they released them with 12sp NX/GX), all he's done to it is add a dropper.

MTBmoose

Posted: Jul 8, 2019 at 11:09 Quote
mtb-moose wrote:
Depends a great deal on which model of each. The low-end Fatboys continue with Specialized's horrible cost-cutting. Stupid decisions like 9mm quick-releases front and rear. Want to eventually put a Bluto or other suspension fork on there? Time to change out the hub (unless they are finally offering endcap conversions). And if you don't step up to the carbon Fatboy, the low-end models probably still have cheesy bottom bracket bearings that won't last a season.

Step up to the carbon model for each manufacturer, and it's probably much more equal. Except that the Fatboy carbon sizes down to 4.0" tires. Dumb. It's all about float in the snow. Nothing less than 4.5" in my experience. Overall, for real winter riding, I think Salsa has the Mukluk better sorted. I ride a first model year Fatboy. Had to upgrade a lot of it for it to be trail/snow-worthy. Have a friend with a Mukluk Carbon. Other than wishing it had lower gearing (it's a couple years old, before they released them with 12sp NX/GX), all he's done to it is add a dropper.

MTBmoose

Thank you!!! Super helpful

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.009402
Mobile Version of Website