Broken Ankle Recovery & Tips?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Broken Ankle Recovery & Tips?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 7, 2019 at 7:40 Quote
I recently broken my ankle, two months ago now.
Is there anything that anyone has done to help recovery and the time it took to get back on the bike??
Any feed feedback would be appreciated, thanks!
Chris!!!

Posted: Jul 7, 2019 at 12:37 Quote
Broke my Tibia last January while cartwheeling down a steep rock garden. I had extensive ligament damage as well. Needed surgery to repair which left me with two long screws , two plates, and some ligament bands. Spent about 3 months getting around on a knee scooter, and two months learning to walk again with it.

Posted: Jul 7, 2019 at 12:45 Quote
...I pretty much aggressively rehabbed it myself after going to a few rehab sessions. Stay off it until they tell you to start putting some weight on it. It was pretty defeating for a while, but then you will see it will get stronger. The three best things I think I did was: ..Eat healthy so you do not get fat. ...Ride your bike around the neighborhood as soon as you can. It felt so good on the ankle and really helped with stretching the foot and ankle out.

Posted: Jul 7, 2019 at 13:01 Quote
If you can, use an elliptical machine along with riding your bike. 3...do calve raises with just body weight. You have to make it stronger. All in all I was off from work 5 months. Started riding trails about 4 months after i broke it. I am happy with the end result from my end as well as the surgeons. If you have any qurstions or need some more advice, feel free to hit me up.

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 8:13 Quote
Sorry to hear that dude!

Appreciate the feed back! I’ve been lucky enough not to have had that amount of damage.
A clean break, no damage to tendons and no surgery too. The physio is being dragged out though, can’t complain as it’s the UKs free healthcare!
I’m going to take on a lot of swimming and light cycling, need to be ready for a race at the end of August! Am I being too optimistic? I broke my ankle on the 11th May and the race is on the 23rd August...

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 12:02 Quote
if you got a clean break with no other damage, your golden.

O+
Posted: Jan 3, 2020 at 18:03 Quote
Hello,

Hoping for a little advice...

I fractured my Distal Fibula and Lateral Malleous at the beginning of November. Thought it was just a bad sprain and wandered around on it like an idiot for over a month. Finally went and had it looked at and got X-rays. Broken. They put me in an aircast on December 10th, but didn't give me any additional instructions. I got another set of X-rays on the 23rd which showed that the bones were still broken (not surprising). From what I understand, it's 6 weeks in the aircast, which means I would hopefully be out by January 21st. I've already noticed some significant atrophy in my lower leg (looks like a sad triangle when I take the cast off to shower)

How was the recovery for everyone? Any complications? Pain?
I'm not young anymore and know that it's going to take longer to bounce back now.

Riding my bike isn't going to happen right away with winter & snow for at least another two months. Calve raises are definitely going to be part of the plan. I was still hoping to get out on my snowboard this season. But I'm not sure if that will be a good idea with the fractures being in my dominant leg.

I'd be grateful for any adviceSmile

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 9:25 Quote
Hi Srh2,
Where in Canada are you? I would absolutely recommend you see a physio, as 6 weeks in an air cast is going to result in not just stiffness of your ankle joint, but also your foot. Some, manual therapy to mobilize these joints in order to normalize your walking pattern once out of the boot is necessary. I often see patients years after fracture, having not seen a physio/chiro at all during their rehab, or discontinued too soon, and they typically have hip/knee/back issues as a result of remaining foot/ankle immobility and how it affects the way you move, squat, bike, go up/down stairs etc.

They can also then help provide a progressive home exercise program for you to get back on your bike quicker. If you don’t have a good physio, let me know and I can recommend someone in your areaSmile

O+
Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 16:01 Quote
jslehmann14 wrote:
Hi Srh2,
Where in Canada are you? I would absolutely recommend you see a physio, as 6 weeks in an air cast is going to result in not just stiffness of your ankle joint, but also your foot. Some, manual therapy to mobilize these joints in order to normalize your walking pattern once out of the boot is necessary. I often see patients years after fracture, having not seen a physio/chiro at all during their rehab, or discontinued too soon, and they typically have hip/knee/back issues as a result of remaining foot/ankle immobility and how it affects the way you move, squat, bike, go up/down stairs etc.

They can also then help provide a progressive home exercise program for you to get back on your bike quicker. If you don’t have a good physio, let me know and I can recommend someone in your areaSmile

Funny (maybe not actually funny) and thank you for mentioning this...
I'm going to send you a DM Smile

Posted: Apr 22, 2020 at 21:45 Quote
NUTRITION FOR INJURY RECOVERY : FOOD AND SUPPLEMENTS TO SPEED UP HEALING

Tissue damage - whether from surgery or injury - kicks off a 3-stage recovery process

STAGE ONE = Inflammation
Pain, swelling, redness and heat; tissue draws chemicals to the injured area.

STAGE TWO = Proliferation
Damaged tissues are removed; new blood supply and temporary tissue is built.

STAGE THREE = Remodelling
Stronger, more permanent tissue replaces temporary tissue.

"Nutrition is extremely powerful in all three stages"

Eat more Anti-inflammatory fats;
- Olive oil
- Avocados
- Fish oil, Flax oil or Ground Flax
- Fish like mackerel + salmon or sardines
- Mixed Nuts & Seeds

Eat Fewer pro-inflammatory things like;
- Processed foods high in saturated or toxic fats
- Vegetable oils like corn, sunflower, safflower & soybean (look out for these in musli/energy type bars as a binding agent)
- Foods with trans-fats

ALL ATHLETES
# Priority 1: Improve Recovery
# Priority 2: Improve Performance

Send me a DM on instagram for more information on Sports Performance Nutrition
@lauribelcher_nutrition

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014013
Mobile Version of Website