Coil spring

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
Coil spring
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 8, 2019 at 10:28 Quote
Hi can any one help I have an evil calling with a ohlins trunnion mount rear shock it is a 185x55 I have managed to get 63mm stroke on at 708lbs compression (it is the strongest spring ohlins do that will fit ) but still at 32% sag and bottoms out too easily think i
need about 730lbs but I can't seem to find one does anyone know if any company can make a spring to fit my bike and compression please don't say ti springs I have had dealings with that company and would not touch them with a barge pole thanks

FL
Posted: Jul 8, 2019 at 13:15 Quote
Can you not add more compression damping?

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 10:09 Quote
Hi thanks for the reply I can only ride it in the middle setting as in the full open mode it's too bouncy I have tried over the months altering the rebound and the low speed compression but it's still bottoming out on only smallish drops even the sag meter on the evil says it's running over 30% same as when I move up the bump stop and measure it that way

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 6:25 Quote
Yh but surely you want a coil shock to act plush!

How much do you weigh out of interest?

FL
Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 8:29 Quote
Looking at the leverage ratio:
http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/2018/01/evil-calling-275-2018.html

It starts off very progressive, and then levels out to more linear around the sag point.

This is why its using all the travel easily.

I guess the options are:

Live with it.
Add more compression damping
Fit a progressive spring like: https://mrpbike.com/products/enduro-progressive-coil-springs
Try and find a firmer spring, although I would of thought that going too high in spring rate would start to kill of small bump and mean you'd need loads of rebound damping.
Fit an air shock

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 10:50 Quote
Iam 6ft 5 and weigh 110kg took an air shock off the bike changed to the coil which better suited my riding style if iam riding trails the coil is far superior to the air shock

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 11:06 Quote
A 730 lb/in spring is only 3% stiffer than a 708 lb/in spring. 3% isn't going to solve your problem if it's "bottoming out on only smallish drops".

30% - 35% sag isn't unreasonable on an Evil. You need more high-speed compression damping.

And if it feels "too bouncy", probably more low-speed compression damping, too. Maybe more rebound damping.

I'm guessing your current shock is a "Medium - Medium" tune, meaning medium compression and medium rebound. Try a "High - High", then revisit the spring issue if necessary.

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 11:07 Quote
Quite I would be running 32% just for arguments sack anyway on a ride like that

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010772
Mobile Version of Website