E*Thirteen Rim / Tire Issues

PB Forum :: YT Industries
E*Thirteen Rim / Tire Issues
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 8, 2019 at 11:01 Quote
Has anyone else been having issues with the stock LG1 EN rear rim and LG1 EN Plus rear tire combo on the 2019 Capra? I've got mine set up tubeless running about 26-27psi in the rear and I've already got 4 dents in these rims...

I'm sure its the single ply "enduro" casing on the tire that's just throwing in the towel whenever I get into the rough, but it seems like the rim is a lot more susceptible to denting than I would have thought. I ride a decent amount of bike park and some fairly rough trails around the Front Range in CO, but I'm pretty surprised that a bike built with the intentions of the Capra would be spec'd with components that can't hang. If I've got to run these tires up into the 30 psi range to keep 'em from denting the rims, then I could have just kept the tubes in there.

For now I'm going to try to straighten the dents out and throw a Minion on the back, but it looks like I'll be replacing the rims in the near future. Leaning towards the DT Swiss EX511's but I'm certainly open to suggestions for other strong 28 hole aluminum hoops.

Posted: Jul 8, 2019 at 15:56 Quote
Pretty much all enduro bikes come with wimpy single ply tires (Maxxis Exo etc) because otherwise the posted weights will be higher than competitor bikes. Dumb I agree, those tires are not suitable for park or aggressive riding.

I'd get at least Maxxis DoubleDown on both sides and maybe even DH casing on the rear. I find DoubleDown is enough for me on the Jeffsy. Worth the weight... I weigh 200lbs before gearing up and run 26psi front 29-30 rear.

Posted: Jul 8, 2019 at 17:48 Quote
if you ride fast, not paticularry smooth and use alot of the travel... you need a full DH casing.

My Capra is in the mail and it will be rolling on minions with at least DD and almost certainly DH casing in the back.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 11:03 Quote
On my 2019 YT Jeffsy I have been running the stock e13 TRS Plus rims on the Front Range and have had zero issues. The rims have taken quite a beating so far and are still true with no dents and no broken spokes.

E13 tires on the other hand are absolute garbage and do not work well on the loose over hardpack trails we have in Colorado. I pinch flatted my e13 TRS plus rear tire on my first ride at Hall ranch. I also washed out the front end about 4 times on various other rides, something that rarely happened when I ran Maxxis tires. Needless to say I trashed the e13 tires and went to a DHF/DHR combo.

Maxxis just came out with their exo+ casing for the minion. You might be able to run that opposed to going to a much heavier (although much stronger) double down casing.

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 12:00 Quote
provin1327 wrote:
On my 2019 YT Jeffsy I have been running the stock e13 TRS Plus rims on the Front Range and have had zero issues. The rims have taken quite a beating so far and are still true with no dents and no broken spokes.

E13 tires on the other hand are absolute garbage and do not work well on the loose over hardpack trails we have in Colorado. I pinch flatted my e13 TRS plus rear tire on my first ride at Hall ranch. I also washed out the front end about 4 times on various other rides, something that rarely happened when I ran Maxxis tires. Needless to say I trashed the e13 tires and went to a DHF/DHR combo.

Maxxis just came out with their exo+ casing for the minion. You might be able to run that opposed to going to a much heavier (although much stronger) double down casing.

Yeah, I'm in the process of lacing up some DT Swiss EX511's and I've got some new Maxxis rubber to throw on when they're finished. Went with an exo+ Assegai on the front and double down Aggressor on the rear - pretty excited to try out the new combo and hopefully give me a little extra peace of mind on the trails.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008696
Mobile Version of Website