First time to Whistler - HALP!

PB Forum :: Canada - West
First time to Whistler - HALP!
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 8, 2019 at 21:01 Quote
hi everyone,

Need your kindly advice on my setup since this will be my first time to Whistler.

Im planning to bring my 29er Santa Cruz Hightower LT + 160mm DVO Diamond + front tyre DHF EXO 3C 2.5 and rear tyre Aggressor DD 2.3

Friends who has never been keep telling me i need to get a 170mm fork or get bigger front / rear tyres or change my hope hubs to CK or something else.

Reading articles and watching tonnes of Whistler videos are giving me analysis paralysis.

Right now i just need to know if i will survive going down Top of the World, A-line and Lord of Squirrel. Yes im somewhat comfortable with jumps and going down gnarly techy stuff.

THANKS LOADS!

Posted: Jul 8, 2019 at 23:46 Quote
Tareh your bike will be absolutely fine. Top of the world in my opinion is much better suited to an enduro bike than dh rig.Lord of the Squirrels won't be open for a few weeks at least, there's still lots of snow up top. Most of the trails in the park are lots of fun on 160m travel bike. Braking bumps on some of the more popular flow trails will have you maybe wanting more travel, more for comfort than anything else but 160 is fine.

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 9:02 Quote
Electronic83 wrote:
Tareh your bike will be absolutely fine..

Thanks for this. Ill be heading up on the 27th July so hopefully the snow will clear up by then. Also im running the m6000 deores + 200mm rotors that serve me very well here in Malaysia, and you reckon a 4pot brakes (hope, codes, saints, trps) is better suited for Whistler?
Thanks again!

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 9:50 Quote
tareh wrote:
Electronic83 wrote:
Tareh your bike will be absolutely fine..

Also im running the m6000 deores + 200mm rotors that serve me very well here in Malaysia, and you reckon a 4pot brakes (hope, codes, saints, trps) is better suited for Whistler?

For the bikepark you want the best/biggest brakes you can get, large rotors and metallic pads. I have ridden with slx brakes and they were ok for a bit, but I much prefer proper downhill brakes like codes, saints etc

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 10:01 Quote
I am heading to Whistler next month, I have an Ibis Ripmo that is plenty bike for me, 160/145 travel. Also, I run 203MM rotors in front and back with Code RSCs, with metallic pads. Both Top of World and Lord of Squirrels are easily done on your bike. If I rode some of the bigger trails, maybe I would want a downhill bike, but I don't do A Line, though I may try some bits of it this year.

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 14:28 Quote
tareh wrote:
hi everyone,

Need your kindly advice on my setup since this will be my first time to Whistler.

Im planning to bring my 29er Santa Cruz Hightower LT + 160mm DVO Diamond + front tyre DHF EXO 3C 2.5 and rear tyre Aggressor DD 2.3

Friends who has never been keep telling me i need to get a 170mm fork or get bigger front / rear tyres or change my hope hubs to CK or something else.

Reading articles and watching tonnes of Whistler videos are giving me analysis paralysis.

Right now i just need to know if i will survive going down Top of the World, A-line and Lord of Squirrel. Yes im somewhat comfortable with jumps and going down gnarly techy stuff.

THANKS LOADS!

You'll be fine as is. How many days of park are you riding, just one to hit those trails? If you are riding a week of park you might consider DH casing tires just to avoid the hassle/time wasting if you slice the Exo or DD (I can get away with DD in the park on my trail bike though, just ride smart). Bring an extra set of metallic brake pads, especially if you are heavier, you will go through a set of organics pretty fast if you ride a lot of vert.

Hubs are irrelevant for a short trip, rims would matter more but again, ride smart and don't smash your rims needlessly.

Fork travel 160 to 170 won't make a huge difference. If you can do it free/cheap on the Diamond go for it but I wouldn't stress. It's really only the brake bumps on the jump trails that hurt on a trail bike, and they are worse on the blue trails, especially Blue Velvet and Heart of Darkness. You can ride all the black/double black tech fine on that bike just ride smart.

Trails outside the park you are 100% fine.

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 22:21 Quote
Don't overthink it. That bike will be fine for most lines there for most riders, unless you are a particularly heavy hitter or want the extra stability and forgiveness of a DH bike. You'll see lots of bikes in the lift line similar to your Hightower, and won't feel out of place with a single crown. Maybe add a few more PSI to your tires, a volume spacer or two in your fork and shock, for god's sake you don't need to change your hubs (unless they're shot anyway!).

The biggest issue may be just how much you want to thrash on your trail bike in the park. That would be my main consideration for renting a DH bike.

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 at 21:45 Quote
pedalandshredit wrote:
Don't overthink it. .

hahaha thanks for the encouragement.

fillyo wrote:
I am heading to Whistler next month, I have an Ibis Ripmo that is plenty bike for me, 160/145 travel. Also, I run 203MM rotors in front and back with Code RSCs, with metallic pads.

aight, metallic pads. got it!

gramboh wrote:

If you are riding a week of park you might consider DH casing tires just to avoid the hassle/time wasting if you slice the Exo or DD (I can get away with DD in the park on my trail bike though, just ride smart). Bring an extra set of metallic brake pads, especially if you are heavier, you will go through a set of organics pretty fast if you ride a lot of vert.

yea thanks. reckon ill change the tires to DH casing ones and bring the existing tyres as spares.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009871
Mobile Version of Website