2017 5010 Upgrades?

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
2017 5010 Upgrades?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 17:22 Quote
I recently bought a 2017 Santa Cruz 5010 D. Upgrades include Specialized Bennies, Specialized Command dropper, Shimano Deore Brakes, Rental Carbon Lite bar, tubeless setup for $1350. It was way under my budget so I'm looking for some upgrades. I've only been on 1 ride so far, but I want to keep my eye out for deals on potential upgrades.

My first thoughts were:
New Fork (comes with RS Sektor)
New Shock (comes with Fox Float DPS)
New Rims (comes with WTB STP i23 TCS, 32 hole) (DT Swiss Champion Spokes)
New Hubs (comes with Novatec D711, Torque Cap, 15x110mm front // Novatec D712, 12x148mm rear)

Itially I was looking at the 150mm enduro type range of bikes but this one came up and I was overwhelmed with searching for a new bike. I like to ride aggressive gnarly stuff even though there's not much around me in Tallahassee. Coming from moto I also like to jump but am still figuring out how to do it better on a MTB.

I know it's a low end build so any high value providing upgrade suggestions would be awesome.

LT

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 11:53 Quote
First of all, congrats on the bike. I had a 17 5010 myself.

Your bike doesn't sound like it is stock. The fork definitely was not OEM.

I come from a dirt bike background as well. Seems you are on the right track. Susp and wheels would be first on my list if I had the coin.

Pick up a good set of built wheels, 30mm internal width is a good mid range. You can build yourself a custom wheelset at coloradocyclist.com, or call them if you do not know much about it. I have had 2 sets from them, one for my 5010. You will notice a big difference in the weight, tighter engagement, and stiffness of a new set of wheels. I run I9 hubs with Stans Flow rims. Plenty of options though.

As far as susp, you may be able to service the susp till you can replace. New oil makes a pretty good difference.

photo

photo

O+
Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 12:36 Quote
Thanks for the help man! I think I'm going to run it ragged for a few weeks/months so I really know what I'm dealing with, and in the meantime try to learn about hoops, spokes, hubs and all that nonsense. There's a lot more to it than I was aware of and a crazy price range.

Any opinions on new vs used wheelsets??

O+
Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 12:36 Quote
Those wheels look so dope by the way

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 14:15 Quote
lots to learn for sure.

I have never had much luck buying used mtn bikes, let alone parts. I was able to find a local Fox dropper post lightly used, but most of what I see I don't want, or doesn't fit, or is wore out. If you are not picky, want what you want, then finding something used may be a saver. I find that many want near what I can buy new for, used.

But yeah, take your time, learn what is what, what you like and make an educated decision.

on the wheels I posted, the rims came with standard white letters. I bought the orange stickers from Stans and put the on myself.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011713
Mobile Version of Website