Impact Pro as a trail shoe?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Impact Pro as a trail shoe?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 8:06 Quote
I've been running Freeriders for 6 months, and the soles are starting to wear out on me. They are significantly less stiff and are now cupped in shape. Also, I'm really feeling soreness on the descents more than I'd like. Not sure if it is related, but I'm getting numbness on my forward pinky toe. I'm pretty heavy now, 200lbs, so that could be a factor.

Anyway I found a deal on Impact Pros, which I imagine are substantially stiffer, and am considering them for average trail duty in the desert southwest US. Maybe a stiffer more padded sole will help with comfort on the descents? It's fine if they're hot, I won't mind. Does anyone have opinions of pedaling these around all day? Weight aside, what are the stiffness and comfort differences between the Freerider Pro and Impacts?

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 9:03 Quote
I found the impact pro to be way to stiff and would slip on my heel and terrible to walk around in. I now have the freerider pro and they are great for the trail riding I do and no slipping on my heels.

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 0:48 Quote
Go fiveten shoes. They are the best I think, last forever and awesome grip. Iv always road clip ins n these shoes are as close to clips as iv ever had

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 6:12 Quote
hoytpotater wrote:
I found the impact pro to be way to stiff and would slip on my heel and terrible to walk around in. I now have the freerider pro and they are great for the trail riding I do and no slipping on my heels.

Would your heel slip while pedaling? Thanks this is good info.

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 10:24 Quote
I have high top Impacts that are about 3 years old now. When I got them, they were for a couple dh park trips, but ended up using them as my all around trail shoes. They are hot and like wearing a moon boot. I got some free riders about 7 months ago, and while more comfortable and cooler for here in FL, they are already worn out and super flexy. I would not hesitate to wesr the impact low tops though for all around riding.

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 18:25 Quote
I have the freeriders, freerider pro, and impacts. The impacts are pretty bulky and heavy for a trail shoe, only use them for chairlift / shuttle days. The freerider pro is significantly more stiff than the regular freeriders, probably your best bet.

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 19:14 Quote
I have a pair of the Impact pros for riding and coaching in the bike park, and they have served me well for days when I end up doing more general trail riding as well. They are definitely heavier than the Freeriders, but they are quite a bit stiffer and also dampen trail chatter very well. They are also grippier than Freeriders.

For general trail riding I'll usually use the Freerider pros, which are quite a bit stiffer, damper, and more durable than the regular Freeriders (but also warmer).

I have a pair of regular Freeriders but I only really like them for general hanging around and for dirt jumping.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 16:12 Quote
I'm with most of the replies here, Freerider is too soft especially for big DH days, my feet used to ache in Whistler. Freeride Pro is a perfect balance and I can run them for long 5-6 hour trail rides as well as 8 hours in the bike park no problem. If I was riding more park I'd get Impacts purely for that but I would not want to run them on long/hot trail rides, your shoes are rotational mass on the cranks and those watts will start to add up Smile

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 20:32 Quote
Love my impact pros. Very comfy and the soles seem to wear better than the regular freeriders. Use them for the bike park and long 30-50km rides not an issue! My only complaint is sometimes they are almost too grippy making it hard to shift my feet around from time to time.

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 20:01 Quote
half-man-half-scab wrote:
hoytpotater wrote:

Would your heel slip while pedaling? Thanks this is good info.

They did slip on my heels if I was on a steep climb off the seat.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011041
Mobile Version of Website