Bikes with steepest seat angle

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Bikes with steepest seat angle
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 22:40 Quote
Hey all, looking at a XL enduro bike, and my main prerequisite is a steeper seat tube.

Because i'm 6'4 or 193cm with long legs, I have to have the seat right up, and on my current 2017 trek remedy, the seat is quite far back.

Most 27.5 bikes haven't really updated the geo - i can't find anything more than 75 degrees effective.

There are quite a few steeper in 29", but i'm ideally looking for a 27.5.

Thoughts and opinions?

Also - the new megatower says they have a 76 degree seat angle, but it looks alot slacker!

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 at 6:30 Quote
Not sure about the availability in NZ, but brands like Nicolai and MDE can make custom sized frames, including the seat angle you want. Nicolai will be more expensive, and MDE is I believe in the process of replacing the 27.5 Damper bike (should be announced in the following weeks).

It feels a bit weird at first how steep the seat angle is on my MDE damper (76°), but once I got used to it, it was awesome. Went for a standard XL size, no custom geometry.

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 15:57 Quote
The geo on the MDE Damper looks really solid. Pity it has no internal water bottle mounts, that's a bit of a deal breaker for the riding I do.

I rode a megatower yesterday, and although it was only large it felt pretty good. The seat tube is definitely steeper than my remedy.

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 16:01 Quote
If you are open to 29ers (would make sense at your height) why not the Pole? Easily the steepest STA on production bikes.

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 0:09 Quote
Largely due to cost, accessibility and servicing to an extent. I'd rather buy a bike from a dealer here who I know will back it up.

Definitely open to 29ers, but surprised there aren't more 27.5 options with better geo.

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 11:56 Quote
76 works pretty good for people under 6'. I really don't understand why some frames get slacker with larger sizes,

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 13:55 Quote
Yeti SB165 if you have a massive budget. Super long bikes, steep STA and good climbing kinematics.

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 15:37 Quote
Just a tip from a fellow tall rider. 6'5 here. I was all about the idea of steeper seat angles too. Makes sense to have our tall asses more forward on the bike for climbing. However...this essentially makes your bike shorter while seated. Not physically shorter, but it will feel that way. Your handlebars will be closer to your body. It doesn't matter when you're descending, but I spend probably 80-90% of every ride climbing. My current bike is 60mm longer than my last one, and it feels roughly the same size. I want it longer. Had to put a longer stem and a higher rise bar that is rolled forward to get my hands in a comfortable position.

My tip is when you're looking at new bikes, for every degree that the seat tube angle has increased from the previous model, the reach needs to increase by 20mm as well. If the seat tube angle is 2 degrees steeper, but the reach is only 15mm longer than the previous generation, then the bike will essentially "feel" smaller while seated climbing.

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 15:46 Quote
Pennyrisk wrote:
Definitely open to 29ers, but surprised there aren't more 27.5 options with better geo.

The Transition Patrol has one of the best, also the Nukeproof Mega is a good option as well.

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 20:59 Quote
Specialized Enduro XL 2018 -19 has a 76.5^ seat tube angle. You can also slam a 180 mm OneUp post if that helps.

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 9:52 Quote
Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail is 27.5. For your height, they recommend a frame size 4, which would have a 76.3 effective, 73.5 actual seat angle.

Transition Patrol is also 27.5. Size XL has a 76.1 effective STA.

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 21:34 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:

My tip is when you're looking at new bikes, for every degree that the seat tube angle has increased from the previous model, the reach needs to increase by 20mm as well. If the seat tube angle is 2 degrees steeper, but the reach is only 15mm longer than the previous generation, then the bike will essentially "feel" smaller while seated climbing.

Great advice, cheers mate.

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 21:36 Quote
Didn't know the newer enduros had such a steep ST. In saying that, I couldn't find the actual geo chart on their site, however it must be on there.

I think part of the issue is i'm riding a new chromag stylus and that's got a 75 STA, hardtail of course, and it's so good, anything less is going to feed wack.

A patrol is the easiest option here, there's a good retailer, the only issue is everyone rides them here Big Grin

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 8:15 Quote
Pennyrisk wrote:
Didn't know the newer enduros had such a steep ST. In saying that, I couldn't find the actual geo chart on their site, however it must be on there.

I think part of the issue is i'm riding a new chromag stylus and that's got a 75 STA, hardtail of course, and it's so good, anything less is going to feed wack.

A patrol is the easiest option here, there's a good retailer, the only issue is everyone rides them here Big Grin

You're right, once you go steep you don't go back. Even though my Transition Smuggler with a 500mm reach still feels small compared to my previous bike with 450mm reach, the climbing position is much better and tough climbs are made easier with my centre gravity moreso in the middle of the bike vs way off the rear end. So it's a trade off. After a long day of climbing, my hands/arms/shoulders are tired from being in a tight cramped position all day. If transition made an XXL smuggler, I'd be all over it. They do make a Sentinel in that size. Might be worth looking at if you're interested in 29ers.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014211
Mobile Version of Website