Two gears are clunking / clicking when pedaling

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Two gears are clunking / clicking when pedaling
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 11, 2019 at 22:31 Quote
I'm having an issue that I can't figure out and I was hoping I could get some advice. Two gears (8th and 9th gear) are making a clunking / clicking sound roughly once (possibly twice) per revolution. The drive train is clean and lubed. All the other gears are quiet and there are no problems shifting. I thought that maybe a tooth was bent on those two sprockets but it doesn't look like it with the naked eye and I don't know how else to verify that. I could pull the cassette off if necessary, but I haven't done that.

The guide wheel on the derailleur is perfectly in line with the sprockets. Just for the heck of it I tried tightening / loosening the barrel adjuster on the shifter but, as expected, that made the chain want to shift to other gears so I put it back where it was initially. The chain is still within spec, per a Park Tool CC-3.2 chain wear indicator.

I *think* it started when a stick flew up into my chain during a ride and got stuck in the chain, but I'm not positive about that.

Drive train is: SRAM GX Eagle rear derailleur, shifters, and chain. SRAM XG-1275 Eagle cassette (12 speed)

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013161
Mobile Version of Website