Are people really going for electric parts? Are they really the future?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Are people really going for electric parts? Are they really the future?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 9:49 Quote
I'll start with a quote from the article about the new Reverb today:

"If I had to guess, I'd say in 5 years the best high-end posts will be wireless only, while the best value-conscious options will be cable actuated."

Do you other riders really see this as the future? I don't mean, "Is this the future that bike makers are going to force on us by stopping making high-quality frames with cable routing?" I mean, "Is this where you want biking to go?"

To me, all the electric stuff seems absurd. I have no desire to have electric components on my bike. I see them as a potential failure point in a mechanical system made to take a pounding. I'm fully aware that solid state electronics are amazing and can last in horrible conditions, but I just don't see the need for electric parts on my bike.

All that said, maybe I'm just in love with mechanical systems. All my vehicles DO have manual transmissions, but I'd like to buy an electric car.

So, what say you?

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 10:00 Quote
Yeah I think it's stupid... but like everything, prices will gradually come down and we'll all be forced to recharge our seatposts via usb cable.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 5:23 Quote
The fact that some people want electric stuff doesn't also mean that nothing else will be available. You can still buy bikes with V brakes, 3x drivetrains, aluminum everything, etc. You can still get friction thumb shifters too if that's your thing. There's just more choices now. That's not a bad thing.

O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 7:22 Quote
Asking what people think they will want is stupid. People don't know. The initial thought of dropper posts was that they were pointless and gimmicky...

O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 7:40 Quote
I don’t want a computer failing while on a run...or like a Tesla catch on fire. I want to feel that mechanical shift, like my trans am with the man stick

O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 11:40 Quote
Explodo wrote:
I'll start with a quote from the article about the new Reverb today:

"If I had to guess, I'd say in 5 years the best high-end posts will be wireless only, while the best value-conscious options will be cable actuated."

Do you other riders really see this as the future? I don't mean, "Is this the future that bike makers are going to force on us by stopping making high-quality frames with cable routing?" I mean, "Is this where you want biking to go?"

To me, all the electric stuff seems absurd. I have no desire to have electric components on my bike. I see them as a potential failure point in a mechanical system made to take a pounding. I'm fully aware that solid state electronics are amazing and can last in horrible conditions, but I just don't see the need for electric parts on my bike.

All that said, maybe I'm just in love with mechanical systems. All my vehicles DO have manual transmissions, but I'd like to buy an electric car.

So, what say you?

Is electric necessary? No. Is it kind of cool? Yes. In five years will we have mechanical options? Totally. In five years will the electric options be cheaper and more ubiquitous? For sure.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 12:31 Quote
I don't see a well designed electronic part as being any more likely to fail then a cable actuated part held with pinch bolts, as long as you keep the battery charged. On something like a dropper, it may be more reliable. Nothing to fray, pull lose of a pinch bolt, stretch, etc. Plus on a seat post the electronics can be protected by the seat rail or in line with the frame where they're unlikely to get hit in a fall. Just epoxy up the electronics well to protect from spray and gravel..

Electronic transmissions seem a little iffier to me because you have a relatively larger and expensive thing sitting slightly below and outside your chainstay- right where the rocks are. I think they might be more reliable too in the long run too if you can keep them clean enough and away from rocks. I definitely think road bikes will be all electric soon.

O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 12:41 Quote
Explodo wrote:

Replace 'electric' with 'full suspension' in that sentence and you've got exactly what happened when FS bikes started to become available.

Have rigid or hardtail bikes ceased to exist? Nope. But FS has got to a point where it's extremely reliable, and not that much more cost over a non suspension bike. Electronic stuff will go the same way, start off at the high end, then with moores law, it'll get cheaper, smaller, more reliable year on year and you'll start seeing it on more and more bikes.

I for one, can't wait - dropper post cables, unless you have amazing routing, are a pain and mean you can't easily remove the post without partially dissembling some bikes. And they get gunked up, get stiff, break, and so on. All of which has happened to me. Bring on cheaper electronic droppers, and drive trains.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 14:44 Quote
tallpaul-s wrote:
Explodo wrote:

Replace 'electric' with 'full suspension' in that sentence and you've got exactly what happened when FS bikes started to become available.

Have rigid or hardtail bikes ceased to exist? Nope. But FS has got to a point where it's extremely reliable, and not that much more cost over a non suspension bike. Electronic stuff will go the same way, start off at the high end, then with moores law, it'll get cheaper, smaller, more reliable year on year and you'll start seeing it on more and more bikes.

I for one, can't wait - dropper post cables, unless you have amazing routing, are a pain and mean you can't easily remove the post without partially dissembling some bikes. And they get gunked up, get stiff, break, and so on. All of which has happened to me. Bring on cheaper electronic droppers, and drive trains.

I definitely don't agree with that comparison. FS always had clear benefits and costs and rode significantly differently than hardtail. Mechanical vs electric doesn't affect ride quality(not yet) unless you're talking about live valve. All it affects is some maintenance issues and your wallet if something goes wrong. I've not researched the matter, but I wouldn't think weight savings would be a concern in this debate at all considering the weight of the battery, though I'm sure there's a small difference and the electric weights will only come down over time.

There's totally a gee-whiz factor involved, and some folks really go for that. If the technology floats your boat then you should totally get it.

I'm just having a hard time thinking up with a tangible riding benefit to electric bits for a well-built bike.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 14:57 Quote
seems to be driving in that direction. who knows if it will stick. reminds me of the TPI debate with dirt bikes. KTM has all but gone injected on their 2 strokes, except for the MX models. Some still complain, but it was quite the hot topic when they started testing and releasing the first models.

Once proven, I believe electronics on bikes will be normal. It will take time though, and may never take over.

FL
Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 6:55 Quote
I have always been a bit more 'analogue' when it comes to bikes. I like tech, but I like reliability more.

Having said that, I made a rash/wild/impulse purchase and bought an X01 AXS drivetrain recently. It replaced my XT 11 speed.

All I can say is its utterly flawless and thus far, totally reliable. The mech has a few scrapes on it, so its had a knock or two, but its been perfect shifting since installation.

Would I go back to cables.... not unless I really had to. Will I buy more 'electric' bike parts in the future.... yes to an extent. I want an AXS dropper.... but equally I would never spend money on things such as Fox Live valve.

Plus having less cables on my handlebars, to me, is bliss!

Different strokes for different folks and all that!

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 9:49 Quote
v7fmp wrote:
I have always been a bit more 'analogue' when it comes to bikes. I like tech, but I like reliability more.

Having said that, I made a rash/wild/impulse purchase and bought an X01 AXS drivetrain recently. It replaced my XT 11 speed.

All I can say is its utterly flawless and thus far, totally reliable. The mech has a few scrapes on it, so its had a knock or two, but its been perfect shifting since installation.

Would I go back to cables.... not unless I really had to. Will I buy more 'electric' bike parts in the future.... yes to an extent. I want an AXS dropper.... but equally I would never spend money on things such as Fox Live valve.

Plus having less cables on my handlebars, to me, is bliss!

Different strokes for different folks and all that!

You're playing the game wrong! You're s'posed ta pick a side and then be a jerk about it Wink

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 13:30 Quote
How long has it been since we actually had cables connecting the gas pedal to the engine in our cars? There will come a day, maybe not 5 years, but it will happen.

O+
Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 13:58 Quote
gmoss wrote:
How long has it been since we actually had cables connecting the gas pedal to the engine in our cars? There will come a day, maybe not 5 years, but it will happen.

Willing to be most auto drivers have no idea about this. Nor do they care. Mountain bikers are different than most people though, and they care and actually think about their equipment...again unlike most auto drivers.

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 14:35 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
gmoss wrote:

Willing to be most auto drivers have no idea about this. Nor do they care. Mountain bikers are different than most people though, and they care and actually think about their equipment...again unlike most auto drivers.

they don't care because it is no longer anything to worry about. it is as common as anything else. same reason you don't question why your bike comes with disc brakes instead of V brakes. That was my point and thanks for helping me make it. Wink

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009187
Mobile Version of Website