Suspension set up help

| Next Page
Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 16:08 Quote
snyds1987 wrote:
Yeah I wouldn't run volume spacers unless its on jump bike. You will get the same result by running bit more pressure and no volume spacers, and the shock feel/travel should work much better all Tue way through the travel rather than the last half been rough due to the fork/shock getting stiffer As it compresses. Which is perfect for dirt jumping but not so much for trail/enduro riding. I think.

Eh, disagree on that. Volume spacers can let aggressive/heavier riders run slightly lower PSI than they normally would for small bump softness (save your hands) but still have enough ramp for mid-stroke and bottom out protection. Running no volume spacers for example I would have to pump a Fox 36/40 up really stiff to avoid bottom out to the point I would destroy my hands on brake bumps/chatter (I've experimented with this), but I am a heavier guy.

Also earlier in the thread someone said rebound is by feel. Yes, to some degree all suspension is by feel, but rebound damping you only have a narrow range maybe 3 clicks either direction (6 total) around an optimal setting and it is always based on spring pressure. Higher PSI/heavier spring = more force extending the suspension = more damping required to control the stroke. If you put 110psi in a Fox 36 and run rebound wide open you are gonna have a bad time as an example.

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 1:41 Quote
yeah that is correct. Still by feel but As said earlier it All has to match

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 4:33 Quote
According the Jordy the world cup fox mechanic, this:

Set spring rate, i.e. air pressure to correct sag.
If bottoming out with sag correct - adjust volume, i.e. fit spacers,
Add compression damping to achieve desired feel, not to compensate for incorrect sag and/or progression.

There's a really good video on youtube, he reckons the setup procedure is the same for every rider in every discipline, obviously the settings will change.

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 13:05 Quote
I find that on the biggest drops and jumps I do, the rear will bottom out, in the front will have about 5 to 10 mm left. Is this a good setup? I do find that on steep sections the front end does dive a little bit, so I may add some low speed compression

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 0:36 Quote
Will022505 wrote:
I find that on the biggest drops and jumps I do, the rear will bottom out, in the front will have about 5 to 10 mm left. Is this a good setup? I do find that on steep sections the front end does dive a little bit, so I may add some low speed compression

Hopefully this takes you to the right place. You'll have to copy and paste it though, not sure how to link videos. Skip to 4 minutes for the start of setup, or just watch it all.

https://youtu.be/GPQnjSe6rdw

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 2:26 Quote
Forget sag. Tune air pressure by frequency and use volume spacers to set ride height if it's way out: https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/technical-support/setup-guide

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009797
Mobile Version of Website