GX Eagle dumping gears when shifting up

PB Forum :: SRAM
GX Eagle dumping gears when shifting up
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 19:12 Quote
Hey guys,

Two times now my GX Eagle chain has fallen off the upper jockey wheel when I am shifting up into the 50t cog. It's the strangest thing and I have no idea why it is doing it. Basically, I am peadling in the 46t cog, I go to shift into the 50t cog and I hear a huge crunch and a pop and basically cant even turn the pedals. I look down and the chain is off of the upper jockey wheel, the upper jockey wheel is making contact with the cassette and I have to shift down 5 or 6 cogs, give the pedals a light spin, and everything lines back up.
his has only happened two times now but both times I have smacked my knee into my handlebar. A few weeks ago I had some issues with the derailleur skipping and banging when pedaling on a fast descent and I suspect now that it may be related.

My b limit, high limit, low limit, and cable tension are all perfect. RD cage looks fine although it does have a few scrapes from rocks and it was crashed on a few times so maybe it's very slightly bent?

Seems like a lot of people have the same issue in this thread but I have the "updated" lower jockey with the groove on it. https://singletrackworld.com/forum/t...ced-it/page/5/

Any ideas? I love the range I get from the Eagle drivetrain but these things just seem finnicky.

O+
Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 23:36 Quote
If the upper jockey wheel is touching the 50 tooth cog then your b tension is way off.

O+
Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 8:36 Quote
The upper jockey is not touching, it's right on as I measured it with the red Sram b limit adjustment tool.

The shifting has been doing some other weird crap too. In some of the smaller cogs it clicks and ticks but if I put slight pressure on the derailleur shifter with my thumb (but not making a full shift) it goes away. It's almost like it's not seating properly or is not indexed correctly even though the limits are correct.

It also seems to want to grab the 50t cog when I am in the 46t cog. Sometimes it happens when shifting, almost like it shifts up a bit too far, grabs the 50t, then slams down onto the 46t cog.

Other times it decides to shift up from the 46t cog into the 50t cog when I am hard on the pedals. Straighly enough it's buttery smooth when it does it and only for about 1/4 of a crank turn but it's like it has a mind of it's own.

All of this has me going back to step 1. I'm going to check the hanger alignment, replace the derailleur, replace the cable and cable housing, and reset all the limits and cable tension.

O+
Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 18:01 Quote
First thing I would do is start from scratch on the cable tension if the upper and lower limit are good. And don't judge your cable tension on first shift off the bottom cog, always start from adjust the tension from the 11 to 10 shift

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.070839
Mobile Version of Website