Altitude ride9 travel changes

PB Forum :: Rocky Mountain Bikes
Altitude ride9 travel changes
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 21:31 Quote
Let me start by saying I am not complaining, nor am I mad. I just like to mess with things and this chip thing is awesome for the person (like me) that likes to tinker with stuff.

So I was messing with the ride 9 chips on my 2019 A70. Does position 1 really limit your travel to 130mm? It seams position 9 is around 155? I have been searching but can’t find where someone has listed travels for each position. Does this exist?

With all the air out of my shock I was setting my bottom bracket and left fork leg on a park bench, measuring to the center of axle, then pulling the tire all the way until the shock bottomed out and measuring again. Thus giving me what should be accurate measurements, no? I was really surprised at how much moving the chip affects travel.

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 8:45 Quote
Not sure what you're seeing, but ride 9 shouldn't really be impacting your travel. I'm not sure where you're getting these measurements, but neither the axle path nor the shock stroke changes with ride-9, just pivot position....

O+
Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 11:26 Quote
j-t-g wrote:
Not sure what you're seeing, but ride 9 shouldn't really be impacting your travel. I'm not sure where you're getting these measurements, but neither the axle path nor the shock stroke changes with ride-9, just pivot position....

They change substantially. It makes sense because your changing the shock location.

I let the air out of the shock properly so I could move the rear wheel from fully extended to bottomed out by hand. Then set the bb and left fork leg on a bench. Measured to the ground then pulled the wheel up until the shock was bottomed out and measured again. My measurements are pretty accurate.

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 12:29 Quote
You have to measure the entire axle path though

O+
Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 20:12 Quote
j-t-g wrote:
You have to measure the entire axle path though

What do you mean? Center of axle , one measurement at full extension and one at full compression. That is how much travel the bike has.

Not sure if my first post made sense? BB and fork were sitting on a park bench, I let all the air out of the shock properly and made sure the bike was straight up/down (not leaning). At full extension the rear tire was about 3” off the ground. I measured center of axle to ground then lifted the rear wheel until the shock bottomed out and measured again. Subtract one number from the other and you have the travel of the rear. No?

FL
Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 1:01 Quote
So as mentioned in the other thread, I was under the impression the travel reduced the slacker the bike got.

I have found the document that makes me believe this.

you can see it here:

https://www.bikes.com/sites/default/files/resources/2018_Ride9_Altitude_EN_0.pdf

On page 4 it shows the suspension curve, and the amount of travel received for slack, middle and steep. It definitely changes.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 9:17 Quote
Hi

I am going to receive a 2018 Altitude frame in a few days. What about installing a 170mm fork on this bike. Does somebody ride with this setup? Does it alter the ability or the geometry of the bike?

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 10:33 Quote
When they were racing this bike they ran in with 170mm up front and about 170mm in the rear with an 8.5*2.5 shock and offset bushings. Check out Remi G's bike check from a few years ago

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 14:08 Quote
j-t-g wrote:
When they were racing this bike they ran in with 170mm up front and about 170mm in the rear with an 8.5*2.5 shock and offset bushings. Check out Remi G's bike check from a few years ago

Thks for the info. Coil and 170mm front might be cool.

Thinking about getting DIY bushing...

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009998
Mobile Version of Website