2019 Jeffsy XXL Owners?

PB Forum :: YT Industries
2019 Jeffsy XXL Owners?
O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2021 at 5:33 Quote
Tommy-P87 wrote:
I still haven't gone for it yet, just seen someone say about it before. I will be soon though. I did buy a second hand 35mm length raceface stem off eBay though to try and found it much better than the 50 for tight switchbacks. I'm 6'4" and feel reach is perfect for me now, I agree I'd like to be a little higher though
I have a Defy 35mm on the way. I'm wondering now though if maybe I should have stuck with the 50mm. If this stem allows me to put more spacers under it and gives me 5mm of rise in line with the head tube angle, I'll already be decreasing my reach. Wonder if decreasing it more with the 35mm length will be too much. I'll report back on how it feels I guess.

Posted: Mar 30, 2021 at 12:02 Quote
Cp240 wrote:
Tommy-P87 wrote:
I still haven't gone for it yet, just seen someone say about it before. I will be soon though. I did buy a second hand 35mm length raceface stem off eBay though to try and found it much better than the 50 for tight switchbacks. I'm 6'4" and feel reach is perfect for me now, I agree I'd like to be a little higher though
I have a Defy 35mm on the way. I'm wondering now though if maybe I should have stuck with the 50mm. If this stem allows me to put more spacers under it and gives me 5mm of rise in line with the head tube angle, I'll already be decreasing my reach. Wonder if decreasing it more with the 35mm length will be too much. I'll report back on how it feels I guess.

Great if you report back on this. I'm 6'6" myself (38" inseam), and have a XXL core 2 on the way. Guess I'll have to wait and see how much more stack i need, but considering the defy 50. My concern is the reduced reach, as you also mention. It looks like the syntace megaforce2 also has a similar low height like the defy (https://m.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=162095&pagenum=1763). Megaforce2 is also available in longer versions (60-80mm), so I'm wondering if getting a longer stem will even out the lost reach in an alright way, or if it will get strange.

Posted: Mar 30, 2021 at 17:41 Quote
Cp240 wrote:
Tommy-P87 wrote:
Cp240 wrote:
Just picked up a 2021 Core 2 in XXL (I'm 6'5" with a 36" inseam). I realize this is an old thread about 2019 models, but the geo hasn't changed since then and this seems like the right audience for some advice. This is my first modern bike. I'm coming from an old 26" Specialized hardtail that was definitely a bit small for me. This thing feels massive, but good. Strange to be able to move around on it more.

I'm wondering what are you other Clydes are doing about trying to increase the stack height, or if you're doing anything at all. The handlebars seem so low. I've been looking around, and have found the Industry Nine A35 stem, that at a 32mm length, will give you 5mm of rise. Pair that with an Enve M7 40mm rise or a Renthal Carbon 35 40mm rise, and I could pick up 10mm. Pretty pricey for either pair, but if it helps...

What do you all think?

What about the DMR Defy stem? It has a 5mm rise and a lower stack height so you could put some spacers under the stem

I'm going to give this a shot. Any thoughts on whether I should go with the 35mm length or keep it at 50mm?

I went from 50 to 35 and the bike immediately felt more lively- both cornering and pulling the nose up. Definitely interested in trying that defy stem and a set of risers, but also found the shorter stem solved a lot of my initial qualms

O+
Posted: Apr 1, 2021 at 9:02 Quote
silaswp wrote:
Cp240 wrote:
Tommy-P87 wrote:

What about the DMR Defy stem? It has a 5mm rise and a lower stack height so you could put some spacers under the stem

I'm going to give this a shot. Any thoughts on whether I should go with the 35mm length or keep it at 50mm?

I went from 50 to 35 and the bike immediately felt more lively- both cornering and pulling the nose up. Definitely interested in trying that defy stem and a set of risers, but also found the shorter stem solved a lot of my initial qualms

At 6'8" and 37" inseam went with they Defy 50, added the Spank 60mm rise bars and think the increased stack height has worked really well, especially going down the steep stuff. However, the front end is much lighter on the way up and I'm considering trying a longer stem to put a little more weight over the wheel

O+
Posted: Apr 1, 2021 at 12:28 Quote
guleboj wrote:
Great if you report back on this. I'm 6'6" myself (38" inseam), and have a XXL core 2 on the way. Guess I'll have to wait and see how much more stack i need, but considering the defy 50. My concern is the reduced reach, as you also mention. It looks like the syntace megaforce2 also has a similar low height like the defy (https://m.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=162095&pagenum=1763). Megaforce2 is also available in longer versions (60-80mm), so I'm wondering if getting a longer stem will even out the lost reach in an alright way, or if it will get strange.

Will do for sure. I actually ended up ordering both the 50mm and the 35mm. I'm hoping to get them before the weekend so I can have some time to play with them both. I've seen it written a few times elsewhere (and now here again) that the 35mm does really bring the Jeffsy to life, and helps with being able to get the front end up, but I also share the same concerns that going shorter AND taller will mess with climbing ability.

Also, I found this cool little tool that helped me understand the changes different stems will make. I first tried working out the math on my own, but gave up pretty quickly.

Posted: Apr 2, 2021 at 1:03 Quote
tallguy68 wrote:
At 6'8" and 37" inseam went with they Defy 50, added the Spank 60mm rise bars and think the increased stack height has worked really well, especially going down the steep stuff. However, the front end is much lighter on the way up and I'm considering trying a longer stem to put a little more weight over the wheel

This is pretty much my plan as well, although I was thinking going 50mm riser bars. Have you looked at any longer stems in particular? How much length do you think you need?

O+
Posted: Apr 2, 2021 at 19:18 Quote
guleboj wrote:
This is pretty much my plan as well, although I was thinking going 50mm riser bars. Have you looked at any longer stems in particular? How much length do you think you need?
Don't forget that a longer stem will add a bit of stack because of the head tube angle. Won't be much, but it's worth keeping in mind. Use that tool I linked to above to see.

O+
Posted: Apr 3, 2021 at 19:57 Quote
Cp240 wrote:
guleboj wrote:
Don't forget that a longer stem will add a bit of stack because of the head tube angle. Won't be much, but it's worth keeping in mind. Use that tool I linked to above to see.

Agreed, though I figure it'll be a wash on the increased stack: the Defy has such a short height and gains a little more via spacers, which will probably be lost with the other 60/70mm options on the market.

I'm not sure how much length I need overall, but am looking to try the Chromag BZA 35 in 60mm length next. At some point the budget may impose limits on the experimentation.

Posted: May 7, 2021 at 0:18 Quote
Cp240 wrote:
guleboj wrote:

Will do for sure. I actually ended up ordering both the 50mm and the 35mm. I'm hoping to get them before the weekend so I can have some time to play with them both. I've seen it written a few times elsewhere (and now here again) that the 35mm does really bring the Jeffsy to life, and helps with being able to get the front end up, but I also share the same concerns that going shorter AND taller will mess with climbing ability.

Also, I found this cool little tool that helped me understand the changes different stems will make. I first tried working out the math on my own, but gave up pretty quickly.

Any update on how the stems work out for you?

O+
Posted: May 19, 2021 at 22:27 Quote
guleboj wrote:
Cp240 wrote:
guleboj wrote:

Any update on how the stems work out for you?

I've only had a couple of rides on the new stem (65mm/0 degree) - steering input is a bit slower but the increased reach feels better. Not sure how much of this I should chalk up to placebo effect, haha,

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.023054
Mobile Version of Website