Is the Jenson 2017 Kona Supreme Operator a good deal?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Is the Jenson 2017 Kona Supreme Operator a good deal?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 9:23 Quote
Jenson has a 2017 Kona Supreme Operator (https://www.jensonusa.com/Kona-Supreme-Operator-AL-275-Bike-2017) for $3500. . . in XL.

About me: 6'5", will be using the bike mainly at Mammoth (live 45 minutes away) and for a week in Whistler next summer, I won't be racing but will be using the bike like a proper park rat, lots of jumps and drops as well as riding down the steep techy business at each resort.

I have ridden a bunch at Mammoth, but mostly on my AM bike (Banshee Prime), I did rent a DH bike once at Mammoth and once at Whistler. Both times I rented they only had Large sized bikes, a Trek at Mammoth and a Scott at Whistler. The trek felt okay, maybe a little short at first but I got used to it, the Scott felt similar like I was going to go over the bars a few times at first but I also got used to that. The Gambler felt very heavy in the back end to me, but maybe that was just my mind messing with me after looking at the odd linkage on the Gambler.

Some of the main concerns I have about the Operator: Air fork, Sram components, and Kona's Reputation:

The air fork seems like it may be a hassle when thinking about how often I have to rebuild the Pike on my AM bike.

I have always preferred Shimano over Sram, but maybe that's because I started riding before gripshift was released. . .

Kona's reputation for broken frames still haunts me, but maybe that's all fixed now. . .Another ding against Kona is that I visited their shop in Bellingham, was the only customer in the store and not one employee greeted me or asked if I needed any assistance, then when I went to check out the employee interrupted the transaction to answer the phone. . .I walked out of the store thoroughly disgusted. . . but that was several years ago as well. . . but it makes me think their whole company may suck at customer service if the "face" of their company didn't have any.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 11:32 Quote
unrooted wrote:
Jenson has a 2017 Kona Supreme Operator (https://www.jensonusa.com/Kona-Supreme-Operator-AL-275-Bike-2017) for $3500. . . in XL.

About me: 6'5", will be using the bike mainly at Mammoth (live 45 minutes away) and for a week in Whistler next summer, I won't be racing but will be using the bike like a proper park rat, lots of jumps and drops as well as riding down the steep techy business at each resort.

I have ridden a bunch at Mammoth, but mostly on my AM bike (Banshee Prime), I did rent a DH bike once at Mammoth and once at Whistler. Both times I rented they only had Large sized bikes, a Trek at Mammoth and a Scott at Whistler. The trek felt okay, maybe a little short at first but I got used to it, the Scott felt similar like I was going to go over the bars a few times at first but I also got used to that. The Gambler felt very heavy in the back end to me, but maybe that was just my mind messing with me after looking at the odd linkage on the Gambler.

Some of the main concerns I have about the Operator: Air fork, Sram components, and Kona's Reputation:

The air fork seems like it may be a hassle when thinking about how often I have to rebuild the Pike on my AM bike.

I have always preferred Shimano over Sram, but maybe that's because I started riding before gripshift was released. . .

Kona's reputation for broken frames still haunts me, but maybe that's all fixed now. . .Another ding against Kona is that I visited their shop in Bellingham, was the only customer in the store and not one employee greeted me or asked if I needed any assistance, then when I went to check out the employee interrupted the transaction to answer the phone. . .I walked out of the store thoroughly disgusted. . . but that was several years ago as well. . . but it makes me think their whole company may suck at customer service if the "face" of their company didn't have any.

I’ve got the budget version of the 2017, in XL. When I bought the bike, it was shown as the last one in stock. My shop called Kona and the guy on the phone walked through the warehouse until he found it just to make sure they actually had one left.

The frame is stout as is the rear end. I killed the rear wheel and the Kage shock in roughly a season of east coast park riding, same for the main pivot bearings (no others). Drivetrain is now Shimano, I’m still hating the Guide brakes. My Boxxer has been fine, no issues with bushings, seals or the damper. The only issue in mind is the pedals beat my feet up in high speed repetitive hits.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 20:01 Quote
I have a 2016 Supreme Operator, last of the 26" and carbon. Great bike although pretty much everything else is not stock. Frame and pivots have been fine.

I have Sram Guides on my enduro bike and hate them with a passion. Get some saints and you'll be sorted

For $3500 its up there. Here in New Zealand you can buy for $2690 USD

https://www.bikebarn.co.nz/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension/downhill/2017-kona-supreme-operator-al-275-green-sku-b17ops27503

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008037
Mobile Version of Website