New (Epic Expert Evo) vs used (Rocky Element) ?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
New (Epic Expert Evo) vs used (Rocky Element) ?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 22:29 Quote
Hey all,

Just working through replacing my current bike (Camber Expert) with a new ride - I am after something a bit quicker uphill and on the flat.

My riding here in NZ is mainly XC, even endurance XC/all day with some trail over rocks/roots.
I do a few races each year. Climbing and speed on the flat is where I am after my gains.

Have narrowed down new bike to 2 options:

New:
2020 Epic Evo - GX 12 spd, 120mm Fox 34 SC Perf - have ridden on a couple of my local routes; liked how it rode - much more snappy and responsive than the Camber, but yes trade off wasn’t as plush over bumps and down technical sections. Noticed the brain ‘clunk’ a little bit I think I’m OK with it.

Happy with what I think it can do and opportunity to lose some weight from it. Local dealer is really great, a real gem.

Used:
2018 Rocky Mountain Element C90 XCO - XTR 11 spd + 100mm 32 SC Factory - only ridden around a car park. Was very light (10.4kg - circa 1.5kg less than Epic) and in great order, very well maintained - seller is National XC champion and ranked reasonably highly internationally in UCI/XC circles.
Thinking the 32 SC fork may be a little short for some of my ‘general’ riding and being a couple of years old no warranty option on this bike/wheelset.

I would probably look to buy a 34 fork and keep the 32 for flat XC races.

It is however about 1/2 - 2/3 the price of the new Epic.

What would you lot do in my circumstances - new or used?

One is a nice bike with a warranty

One is a fantastic bike, a little under forked but not warranty

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 5:11 Quote
XTR 11 speed’s smallest cog is 11t, so with a 32 or 34t chainring you will probably be winding out the Element at high speed, but it will climb great. 2x or a 36-38t chainring would be better for speed. My Element is old with 3x9, a great bike and still very fast on smooth terrain.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008136
Mobile Version of Website