New Downhill Bike Prep

PB Forum :: Downhill
New Downhill Bike Prep
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 8:34 Quote
Getting a downhill bike this spring to use here in CO. I come from an XC background so I can do the proper bike prep. I am looking for downhill specific items. I would like to prep the bike so its mostly maintenance and flat free. Any tips or tricks. Looks like most riders ditch the pack and strap tools or tubes to the frame, anything else I should know or need to do.

Thanks

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 15:56 Quote
DH bikes are the opposite of maintenance free because of the amount of riding and high speeds/rough terrain you do. Flats can be mitigated by running tubeless and using a pressure just above that which lets you get rim strikes. If you ride hard enough, rim protection like Huck Norris is worth a look. Obviously, DH casing tires only. Make sure to check bolt torque on all bolts on your bike frequently, including the derailleur as those like to work themselves loose. Check and regrease your headset/BB/hub bearings and frame pivot bearings often. Service your fork lowers often. Check your spokes at the end/start of each day to ensure even tension and no broken/loose spokes. That type of maintenance will reduce catastrophic+expensive failures.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.045850
Mobile Version of Website