Which Brake Adapter?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Which Brake Adapter?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 15:21 Quote
I got a 2019 norco fluid fs 4 with a sr suntour fork. The brakes were weak so i decided to get some shimano zee brakes. I went with a shimano 203mm up front from the 180mm rotor that was on there. Problem is i cant get a post to post brake adapter to fit. So my bike shop put this sram brake adapter or spracers (12.5 17.5) on but seems like alot of the pad is missing the disc? Is this okay to leave like this or what adapter shoyld I get? Thanks.

photo

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 18:34 Quote
cobba wrote:
No it's not ok to leave it like that, the person at the bike shop who did that is a idiot, make sure that you tell them that if you ever see them again.

Looks like the fork has 180mm post mounts.

You will need a Shimano SM-MA-F203-P/PM adapter.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-F203PPM-Disc-Brake-Adaptor

If your pads have a step worn into them, they will need to be sanded flat

Overhanging brake pads could lead to brake failure if the unworn steps in the pads touch.

What happens to non Avid brakes when you use Avid CPS washers.
What happens to non Avid brakes when you use Avid CPS washers.

Thanks for the reply. This is exactly what I thought. Although i think i know what happened. I originally bought a 180 to 203 post to post adapter but that didnt fit. My guess is someone put a 160 to 203 adapter in the 180 to 203 package. Either way thanks for the reply!

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2019 at 19:12 Quote
(old thread I know, but just in case others find this)

The washers are installed wrong, so that's part of your problem as well. The silver washers in the photo should all be under the bolt head, not between the caliper and the adapter. This results in your caliper sitting further out that it's supposed to. However even with that change the caliper would still be out too far.

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2019 at 20:38 Quote
Also it might be worth noting, those spacers come in a kit. One set would have actually worked ok to install that caliper. That one doesnt. Its made for older avid calipers that intentionally use cone washers in the spacing of the caliper.
Avid brake caliper illustrating washer stack

Posted: Apr 23, 2022 at 10:36 Quote
I had the same problem with my fox 36. I just made 2 aluminum spacers and filed them at a slight angle to sit flat. And it took hours to get perfect. Now it works fine. I think some adapters are made for 200 not 203 vs vers, that is usually the problem.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009899
Mobile Version of Website