HOPE Tech 3 e4?

Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 3:45 Quote
how are these brakes? i heard someone say yesterday that they have to constantly be bled/serviced. is there anything i should be looking out for? are they worth the money?

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 4:14 Quote
I've found they don't like being upside down for periods of time, but most brakes are the same.

Modulation is excellent, if you want instant pad contact or gradual control it's possible to set the levers with the 2 dials.

Hope now sell a pro bleed set, similar to Shimano's system, which should make bleeding easier. I've only had to bleed mine once in around 12 months of use.

They're still my favourite brake manufacturer, mainly because they're so consistent and spares are readily available, especially in the UK.

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 4:34 Quote
Heywood165 wrote:
I've found they don't like being upside down for periods of time, but most brakes are the same.

Modulation is excellent, if you want instant pad contact or gradual control it's possible to set the levers with the 2 dials.

Hope now sell a pro bleed set, similar to Shimano's system, which should make bleeding easier. I've only had to bleed mine once in around 12 months of use.

They're still my favourite brake manufacturer, mainly because they're so consistent and spares are readily available, especially in the UK.

I can deal with once or twice a year! my LBS only charge a tenner to rebleed them. And to be honest i was looking at shimano xtr's but i really want a set of purple hopes with floating disks and braided hoses haha! thanks for you reply, the quality seems second to none too which is also making me lean towards them.

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 6:49 Quote
Yeah, Hope are very well made and designed.

Obviously everyone has their preference of brakes, personally I've found the XT brakes I run on my commuter to be inconsistent, sometimes they bite instantly and other times they pull almost to the bars. They seem to be effected by changes in temperature and weather, I've bled them numerous times and they have a mind of their own.

I think CRC had a small discount on Hope e4 brakes and discs last week, might be worth a check there.

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 13:07 Quote
I love Hope brakes and have put them on all my bikes. Bleeding can be a bit tricky as air bubbles can get trapped behind the pistons. Their bleed kit and new how to videos make this process a lot easier, although I don't need to bleed them that often. In my experience, the pistons can stick when they are dirty causing the pads to misalign with the rotor. Cleaning and lubing the pistons is a quick process and I have just added this to regular maintenance routine.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 0:18 Quote
Heywood165 wrote:
Yeah, Hope are very well made and designed.

Obviously everyone has their preference of brakes, personally I've found the XT brakes I run on my commuter to be inconsistent, sometimes they bite instantly and other times they pull almost to the bars. They seem to be effected by changes in temperature and weather, I've bled them numerous times and they have a mind of their own.

I think CRC had a small discount on Hope e4 brakes and discs last week, might be worth a check there.

Thats how i feel about the Deore brakes that came stock on my scott genius! and luckily for me im buying some upgrades using the cycle to work scheme so ill be paying whatever the retail is but before tax so ill end up saving money anyway Big Grin

All i know is i've ridden bikes with hope brakes before and the feel through the lever is amazing. Thanks for your advice

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 0:20 Quote
PapaGordo wrote:
I love Hope brakes and have put them on all my bikes. Bleeding can be a bit tricky as air bubbles can get trapped behind the pistons. Their bleed kit and new how to videos make this process a lot easier, although I don't need to bleed them that often. In my experience, the pistons can stick when they are dirty causing the pads to misalign with the rotor. Cleaning and lubing the pistons is a quick process and I have just added this to regular maintenance routine.

Awesome, thanks for the advice mate, i look after my things so maintenance should be fine Big Grin

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 15:20 Quote
You shouldn't have to bleed/service them constantly if they are set up right. In my experience, I find that after about 2 years of hard use they need to be rebuilt and have new seals which are relatively cheap and easy to do on your own. I find that bleeding hope brakes is an easier process than Magura, Shimano and SRAM, but everybody has a difference opinion on that.

I think they are worth the money and they really aren't much more than their competitor counterparts, especially if you find a good sale on them (e.g. CRC) I ride on both E4s and V4s. I really like the feel of the levers and the modulation compared to other brands on the market, but that is very much a personal thing.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 22:50 Quote
kblemoir wrote:
You shouldn't have to bleed/service them constantly if they are set up right. In my experience, I find that after about 2 years of hard use they need to be rebuilt and have new seals which are relatively cheap and easy to do on your own. I find that bleeding hope brakes is an easier process than Magura, Shimano and SRAM, but everybody has a difference opinion on that.

I think they are worth the money and they really aren't much more than their competitor counterparts, especially if you find a good sale on them (e.g. CRC) I ride on both E4s and V4s. I really like the feel of the levers and the modulation compared to other brands on the market, but that is very much a personal thing.

Thanks for that advice mate. yeah i've rode some bikes that have had high end brakes on and most of them just skid to easily, the hopes i rode had that same power but more feel through the lever!

I'ts just the bling factor i think no other brakes look even half as nice as hopes especially with braided hoses!

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010788
Mobile Version of Website