Best SRAM Brakes

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Best SRAM Brakes
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 11:16 Quote
Yeah I know, "Best brakes" and "SRAM" shouldn't appear in the same sentence but they are what I can order through my shop.

Can anybody who has ridden them all compare the power and modulation of the G2 vs. Guide RE vs. Code brakes?

Currently riding Guide brakes and need to get them off my bike because they have too much modulation and too little power for my taste. How much more powerful are the G2 and Guide RE brakes than regular Guides and how much weaker are they than Codes? Thanks to anybody who can weigh in.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 1:57 Quote
If you can find them, my favorites are still the older version of the Code, the high end one in silver with the reach adjust built "in" the lever. Reliable, very good power, good heat management, in Europe they can sometimes be found for less than 150€, but definitely less than 200€. So I suppose they could be available for less than $200 over your side?

Now the Guide RE will have more power than your current guides, as the caliper is the "old" Code caliper. Lever feel isn't the greatest, as the lever is a Guide R, but power is there. Newer codes will have roughly the same power as the Guide RE, with possibly a better lever feel. I haven't tried the Code R, only had a bit of time on the Code RSC and they felt pretty much like the old Codes I was mentionning. Same lever feel, and it felt like the same power. They would probably handle the heat better as they changed the caliper.

On a side note, I recently had to bleed a brake that had the bleeding edge thing, it seems to be working well, although I had to find a video on how to actually install the tool in the caliper ...

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 4:28 Quote
Older version of guides were great.

New version were absolutely shocking!

That is typing from experience.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 5:53 Quote
Code RSC's. Amazing!

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 8:40 Quote
Thanks for the answers, especially Ploutre! I think I'll spring for the Code RSC because I want the bite point adjust dial

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 9:42 Quote
If you have the money to spend, definitely a good choice.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 9:42 Quote
There are infinitely more better choices but yh go for it

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 10:22 Quote
There always is, but depending on how much the Code RSCs cost, there may not be a lot of choice left.

For me, Shimano is completely out of the equation until they "really" fix the inconsistent lever throw (that is still present on 2019 XT and XTR brakes btw).
Magura is pretty good, but more expensive for a pair of MT7 with HC levers. And I hate how the pads are close to the rotor.
Formula, I honestly can't say. I've had good and bad reviews about the Cura and Cura4 brakes, so they could be solid contenders, I just don't know.
TRP, solid brakes, if only they had power... Please hear us out TRP if you read this! MOAR POWER!
Hope, the V4s are nice, and will suit pretty much any rider that isn't above 90-100kg (then they just become too progressive, lack power).
And SRAM, refer to my previous comment Wink

Then you have brands like Hayes that are coming back on the market, Trickstuff are awesome, best brake in my opinion, but they are outrageously expensive, and a few other brands that are just not very common on the market to have enough different opinions on them.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 11:01 Quote
Yeah Hayes & TRP for the win then Hope then Trick for obvs reason

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 11:31 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
There are infinitely more better choices but yh go for it
Yeah Code RSC's are $150 each for me on employee pricing at my shop so while I recognize there are better choices, there are no better choices at that price! TRP G-Spec Slates are also an option but reviews say that they are lacking power

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 12:48 Quote
I have G spec Quads & G spec Slates.

Quads just require metallic pads and feel great.

Have yet to fully try the Slates out.

TRP simply feel amazing as power is not the be all and end all.

I get more power just holding off dragging brakes then have enough when I do need to apply them.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 13:20 Quote
Thanks for all the feedback! I did actually almost go for the G-Spec Quadiem because they are significantly cheaper but I opted for the extra bite which should be afforded by the Code RSC. I've always loved brakes which have an absolute lack of sponginess at the lever. Can't wait to be rid of the Guides, they feel squishy and a bit weak when the trail is steep imo

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009875
Mobile Version of Website