MTB lube advice for an old Moto guy

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
MTB lube advice for an old Moto guy
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 17:07 Quote
Evening all,

I have been racing moto for over 30 years and just got back into MTB. After racing my CR, I would go through most all of the pivot points, barring suspension and lube everything including cables. Clutch, front brake, rear brake, and whatever else I could get to.
On the bicycle, XT M8000 brake components and SRAM Eagle drivetrain. Everything I can see is a pressed pin holding things together. I cannot disassemble anything to lube, brake levers, shifter levers, jockey wheels, hinge points of the derailers, nothing.
After a ride, I wash the bike down with a garden hose and a decent Meguiars car wash, clean the chain and cassette, teh stanchions of the fork and shock. Blow dry everything with air, and then relube the chain. But thats it. How can I get to everything else?
Lastly, I've heard god things about Maximas SC1. What do you guys use it for. I know Maxima is top notch on the moto side as I use their fork oil and brake fluid, but never this SC1.

Thanks for any help.

jack

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 9:58 Quote
Do you remove each and every link, pin on the chain during this
clean up ?

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 13:59 Quote
For my Eagle X01 drivetrain, I give it a thorough wash and scrub every 3-4 weeks. Instead of removing the chain, it's cycled through a chain scrubber filled with Simple Green. Cleans it up really well. The chain ring, rear der. and jockey pulleys are scrubbed with a brush using the same solution. For the bike, I spray Muc-Off on everything and wait a few minutes. Rinse, wipe and it's good to go.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 14:39 Quote
muddytreker wrote:
Do you remove each and every link, pin on the chain during this
clean up ?

Dick much?

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 14:39 Quote
SoCalMTBiker wrote:
For my Eagle X01 drivetrain, I give it a thorough wash and scrub every 3-4 weeks. Instead of removing the chain, it's cycled through a chain scrubber filled with Simple Green. Cleans it up really well. The chain ring, rear der. and jockey pulleys are scrubbed with a brush using the same solution. For the bike, I spray Muc-Off on everything and wait a few minutes. Rinse, wipe and it's good to go.

Thanks man.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 15:10 Quote
cityjackit wrote:
SoCalMTBiker wrote:

Thanks man.

Sure thing. I totally understand where you're coming from, I used to ride a Honda ATC 250R in the mid-80s.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 12:17 Quote
" Dick much? " ?? You seem to misunderstand, was a valid question.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009178
Mobile Version of Website