STRONGEST WHEELS. Share your knowledge please!

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
STRONGEST WHEELS. Share your knowledge please!
Previous Page |
Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 17:31 Quote
Hi there
I'm looking for a 26" rear wheel that is basically strong as f***. I've checked loads of other forums but can't really find anything more relevant than 2009 so any help would be appreciated. Weight isn't really an issue, just want it to withstand landing sideways onto concrete as learning to spin is tough if you keep folding wheels Blank Stare
Thanks

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 19:26 Quote
Sun MTX Series, offered in many widths...you’re welcome.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 9:47 Quote
Thanks, any other thoights from anyone?

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 12:53 Quote
Spank makes some pretty bomb proof stuff, same with stans. Big factor is how well the wheel is put together as well.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 13:11 Quote
MrJwoj wrote:
Spank makes some pretty bomb proof stuff, same with stans. Big factor is how well the wheel is put together as well.
+1

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 16:03 Quote
I would probably say halo DJ supadrive wheels would be the strongest. But I'm running Stans no tubes 'flow mk3' rims on profile elite hubs. One of the best hubs and one of the only fully rebuildable hubs. DT swiss alpine spokes And brass nipples. Super stiff n lite.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 7:38 Quote
Thanks folks. I'm buying 2nd hand probably so won't be able to tell how well it was built initially. Might go for some stans then as they've had a couple of votes. ????

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 18:34 Quote
not sure about other peoples experience but stans have never been super awesome to me or riding buddies. my spanks are bomber though

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 15:30 Quote
Spank Spoon 32's are next to bombproof

Posted: Aug 3, 2019 at 9:38 Quote
stans flow mk3 look to be the lightest of all the rims people have posted, spank spoon 32's the heaviest - 0.7lbs heavier than the flow mk3 if you're replacing both wheels.

i'm kinda building up a weight weenie bike buying stuff i can afford within reason. not going to buy a Ti frame or anything.

i weigh 200lbs, newish to dirt jumps so im not hitting anything crazy big, but also that means im not always going to be landing super clean so maybe that evens it out. wondering if the flow mk3 will hold up for me or should i just go for the certified bombproof spoon 32's to be safe.

Posted: Aug 6, 2019 at 12:20 Quote
LumberJake wrote:
stans flow mk3 look to be the lightest of all the rims people have posted, spank spoon 32's the heaviest - 0.7lbs heavier than the flow mk3 if you're replacing both wheels.

i'm kinda building up a weight weenie bike buying stuff i can afford within reason. not going to buy a Ti frame or anything.

i weigh 200lbs, newish to dirt jumps so im not hitting anything crazy big, but also that means im not always going to be landing super clean so maybe that evens it out. wondering if the flow mk3 will hold up for me or should i just go for the certified bombproof spoon 32's to be safe.

Go for bombproof. The start of dirt jumping will involve some nasty crashes while you learn to dial it all in. Plus as you learn flat land 180's and 360's and later normal 360's you're going to put a ton of lateral stress on your rims. It's a dirt jumper, lightness is good, but it needs to be able to take a beating.

Posted: Aug 8, 2019 at 15:36 Quote
So what would be the general consensus between spank spoon 32s and halo chaos?

Posted: Aug 11, 2019 at 14:19 Quote
dtayl12 wrote:

Given that a lot of diamond level slope style riders use Chaos rims I'd say they're pretty bomb, and light. And at a similar price to spanks it probably comes down to preference and availability. I'd still choose spank, but honestly I'd bet that Halo chaos' are nicer, wish I could try a pair.

Posted: Aug 11, 2019 at 16:26 Quote
dtayl12 wrote:

Im going to recieve my Halo Chaos wheelset on the 18th so I will let you know how they are Smile

Posted: Aug 11, 2019 at 23:58 Quote
Pilsburry-Snowboy wrote:
dtayl12 wrote:

Given that a lot of diamond level slope style riders use Chaos rims I'd say they're pretty bomb, and light. And at a similar price to spanks it probably comes down to preference and availability. I'd still choose spank, but honestly I'd bet that Halo chaos' are nicer, wish I could try a pair.

Ive got chaos on at the moment, on ns rotary hubs, but ive also got a set of spank spoon 32s laced to hope hubs hanging from my garage ceiling, wondering if it's worth swapping them over, may just have to give it a go!

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010075
Mobile Version of Website