Does anyone answer messages for selling and buying ?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Does anyone answer messages for selling and buying ?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 12:37 Quote
I’m having a problem with people responding to my messages just trying to buy a f*cking bike here

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 14:50 Quote
Justinrivera1384 wrote:
I’m having a problem with people responding to my messages just trying to buy a f*cking bike here

Somebody posted a thread about this a few weeks ago. A bunch of others posted their experience. If an ad is old (ie. you have to scroll through many pages to find it) it is possible the item has sold and the seller isn't checking their account.

If it's still available, what are you messaging sellers?

I've sold 3 bikes and countless parts through Pinkbike. I only respond to messages where an offer is made or a question about the item is asked. I get a ton of messages with just "what is your best price" or offering like 20% of my asking price. Or, just FYI messages saying that they saw the item for cheaper elsewhere online somewhere two years ago. I don't bother to respond to these. It's just a waste of time.

Keep in mind some sellers write "firm" on their price, or that they will only sell locally, etc.

After all that, if the person still isn't responding...that's on them and their loss. You're dealing with the used market here, and some people are just jerks. Best to move on, in my experience.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 18:25 Quote
I’m asking questions about the bike never asking for them to come down on price. They probably sold it and haven’t checked back in here.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 19:53 Quote
Ads should auto delete after two weeks so people don't have to sift through ads left by a*sholes that don't have the courtesy to remove their ad after the item has sold. If the item did not sell , you re post.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 8:14 Quote
Thanks man. I appreciate the insight as I’m new to this site.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 8:19 Quote
Yeah a lot of sellers list their bike here but also on their local craigslist, facebook, and kijiji listing. I do wish Pinkbike sent reminder emails every few weeks or once a month about active ads to remind users to take them down if they're not active anymore.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 9:57 Quote
DJ-24 wrote:
Ads should auto delete after two weeks so people don't have to sift through ads left by a*sholes that don't have the courtesy to remove their ad after the item has sold. If the item did not sell , you re post.

Great idea

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 10:03 Quote
DJ-24 wrote:

I figured that would be default. Surprised it is not. It is on the other forums I visit.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 14:13 Quote
Are people reading them and not responding? Or just not even reading? If they're just not even reading, they may have sold it awhile ago and forgot... or are just weird. I've had instances, where I'll "bump" my question a couple times when I see it hasn't been read because usually most people will get a notification into their normal email address about it... sometimes they ignore or forget about the first one... or two... and after a couple re-notifications, get their heads out of their ass and respond to you.

If your messages get read without a response... either move on, change tact or ask them again and ask why they haven't responded. I tent to try and be pretty direct on this site and am not afraid to just ask people why they're doing what they're doing. Sometimes it'll illicit a response and sometimes it doesn't.... most of time you'll get an answer, good or bad, at least you can move on.

It does remind me to be a very responsive seller... I don't really get it either... even if someone low balls me or asks a stupid question... you have no idea who this person is or what their final budget may be... I've gotten some of my best prices out of low ballers. Turns out there's a lot of people out there with the mind set: "I'll see if he's an idiot and low ball him... if he doesn't take it, I'll just pay full asking price"... but then they don't get a response and move on and you've lost an easy sell.

idk, just my two cents from buying and selling a few bikes and lots of parts.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 14:17 Quote
islandforlife wrote:
Are people reading them and not responding? Or just not even reading? If they're just not even reading, they may have sold it awhile ago and forgot... or are just weird. I've had instances, where I'll "bump" my question a couple times when I see it hasn't been read because usually most people will get a notification into their normal email address about it... sometimes they ignore or forget about the first one... or two... and after a couple re-notifications, get their heads out of their ass and respond to you.

If your messages get read without a response... either move on, change tact or ask them again and ask why they haven't responded. I tent to try and be pretty direct on this site and am not afraid to just ask people why they're doing what they're doing. Sometimes it'll illicit a response and sometimes it doesn't.... most of time you'll get an answer, good or bad, at least you can move on.

It does remind me to be a very responsive seller... I don't really get it either... even if someone low balls me or asks a stupid question... you have no idea who this person is or what they're final budget may be... I've gotten some of my best prices out of low ballers. Turns out there's a lot of people out there with the mind set: "I'll see if he's an idiot and low ball him... if not, I'll pay full asking"... but then they don't get a response and move on and you've lost an easy sell.

Yeah true. I should clarify that I would only completely avoid responding if the message I got is clearly written by a nigerian prince offering a western union bank transfer or if the spelling/grammar is so bad that I assume it's just some sort of scam.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 14:21 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
islandforlife wrote:

It does remind me to be a very responsive seller... I don't really get it either... even if someone low balls me or asks a stupid question... you have no idea who this person is or what they're final budget may be... I've gotten some of my best prices out of low ballers. Turns out there's a lot of people out there with the mind set: "I'll see if he's an idiot and low ball him... if not, I'll pay full asking"... but then they don't get a response and move on and you've lost an easy sell.

Yeah true. I should clarify that I would only completely avoid responding if the message I got is clearly written by a nigerian prince offering a western union bank transfer or if the spelling/grammar is so bad that I assume it's just some sort of scam.

Yep for sure... I've had a few messages from those as well... But those I find kinda fun... like to lead them on and waste as much of their time as I can, haha.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 14:35 Quote
islandforlife wrote:
Turns out there's a lot of people out there with the mind set: "I'll see if he's an idiot and low ball him... if he doesn't take it, I'll just pay full asking price"... but then they don't get a response and move on and you've lost an easy sell.

That's generally me. I'll throw out a lowball (still never completely ridiculous), with the hope of meeting somewhere in the middle. If it's something I really want or need, I am generally willing pay asking price, but if it's something frivolous or something I really don't need, I'll go a bit more ridiculous and see what sticks.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 16:31 Quote
saskskier wrote:
islandforlife wrote:
Turns out there's a lot of people out there with the mind set: "I'll see if he's an idiot and low ball him... if he doesn't take it, I'll just pay full asking price"... but then they don't get a response and move on and you've lost an easy sell.

That's generally me. I'll throw out a lowball (still never completely ridiculous), with the hope of meeting somewhere in the middle. If it's something I really want or need, I am generally willing pay asking price, but if it's something frivolous or something I really don't need, I'll go a bit more ridiculous and see what sticks.

Totally, I do the same thing and consider it the beginning of the negotiation. I don't understand people who don't respond or get upset... like, I'm just suggesting a price... don't like it, offer a higher one... and off we go. Simple as that.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 17:05 Quote
And there's the. A lot of people are on vacation/holiday this time of year, and likely don't want to be bothered answering their ad. I've run into this a few times.

As for low balling, I never do that, I will ask for a lesser price, but within reason, and usually it gets accepted, and I've bought some really nice parts that way.

Then there are the guys who for some unknown reason just don't reply..

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009363
Mobile Version of Website