Dreaded BB creak... more like a constant click every right pedal stroke

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Dreaded BB creak... more like a constant click every right pedal stroke
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 21:16 Quote
So... I brought my 2x10 XT setup with a Raceface Ride XC crank into the shop because the bottom bracket was making this creek/click noise on every right power stroke

it was a used race face bb a 73 that we installed with shims to the 68

brought it back, and the crank bolt broke off while trying to extract it, requiring him to literally dremel the crank off.

So as I needed a new crank, I couldn't find any half decent new 3x/2x cranks out there and said, eff it lets do a 1x conversion.

So I did a GX/sunrace 11x upgrade with a x1 1400 crank (onsale) with a new BB...

everything went together well, but now after riding again after 20miles... its back...

Its not the pedals, its only at the stroke and I can actually feel it...

Could it be because of shimming a 73 to fit a 68? Or could it be a broken shell in the frame?

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 11:56 Quote
It's prolly not your BB.

Perhaps some better troubleshooting to confirm and isolate before taking action.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 13:45 Quote
Try different pedals first. I have same problem, click on one side, ended up being pedals. Nothing wrong with the pedal either, just clicky, I still use it. Just gotta tune those clicks out lol.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 15:13 Quote
r3cc0s wrote:
So... I brought my 2x10 XT setup with a Raceface Ride XC crank into the shop because the bottom bracket was making this creek/click noise on every right power stroke

brought it back, and the crank bolt broke off while trying to extract it, requiring him to literally dremel the crank off.

So as I needed a new crank, I couldn't find any half decent new 3x/2x cranks out there and said, eff it lets do a 1x conversion.

So I did a GX/sunrace 11x upgrade with a x1 1400 crank (onsale) with a new BB...

everything went together well, but now after riding again after 20miles... its back...

Could it be because of shimming a 73 to fit a 68? Or could it be a broken shell in the frame?

Every time I think my BB is creaking it ends up being something else. Seat rails, chainring cinch bolt, shock bolt, pivot bolt, stem/handlebar interface. Keep looking, easier to fix a creek anywhere else and you will be pissed when you replace the bottom bracket and the bikes still creaking somewhere else.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 17:01 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
r3cc0s wrote:

Every time I think my BB is creaking it ends up being something else. Seat rails, chainring cinch bolt, shock bolt, pivot bolt, stem/handlebar interface. Keep looking, easier to fix a creek anywhere else and you will be pissed when you replace the bottom bracket and the bikes still creaking somewhere else.

+1 for this, last time I thought I had a creaky bottom bracket it was my saddle rails and/ or seatpost (I greased them at the same time and it was gone after that)

Also check your pedal bearings. I once had a squeaking coming from my BB area, and it turned out to be my pedal bearing seal, just put some oil on it and it was good

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 6:30 Quote
So through process of elimination, I removed the pedals, the chain and the crank rolled quite freely on the bearings.

I tried to remove the crankarm as its one of those SRAM x1s with the puller on it, and while losening the bolt, I could feel play that mimic'd the same clunk that I'm feeling

I realize its more a clunk than a creek....

so, I guess there is play, but oddly the GXP BB's are screwed into the shells really tight, and so is the crank arm.

It a old Gary Fisher Mamba frame so it should be a 73BB, which means I don't have room for a spacer... ugh

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 7:02 Quote
Eek Clunk usually means something is loose and could be checked or replicated simply by applying force or weight on the crank (Normally it's just loose crank or crankbolts).

Creak's (sound like an old bed springs) would happen constantly whilst you pedal, which is usually pedals,bb bearings. It can also be due to a loose crank but you'd be able to check just by moving it with your hand (bashguards can also creak)

Crack noises are the one's you have to pay attention to, those usually imply bearings are ruined or something worse like bb shell is broken or the frame itself. You typically get a click sound before you get the crack sounds tho. Unless you've been in a crash.

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 7:14 Quote
For your particular setup. Have you adjusted the preload (non-drive side) and tightened the crank correctly ?

The cranks basically tighten until you can no longer do it up. I used to tighten mine so it just went past the first tight bit, but kept coming loose. You gotta really wrench em. Typically 50Nm

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 7:25 Quote
I read a similar thread awhile back. It could be your cassette or freehub mechanism. Do you have another wheel to try on the bike?

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 8:09 Quote
The time I had a "BB creak on a specific pedal stroke" it was the seat post. I could swear it was down at the BB and a friend riding next to me said it sounded like it was coming from there too. Nope, it was the seat post (not the rails). It happened on any climb or increased pedal effort. I loosened the seat post clamp, applied a drop of TriFlow, wiped it clean and retightened the clamp. Solved my issue just like that. Have had to do it twice since owning the bike (bought 2016).

Stupid simple to do so try it before continuing to beat your head against a wall of frustration any further.

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 10:59 Quote
I had the exact same sound. It was the bb. I removed the cranks and noticed some rust on the spindle. The bb race had rusted a bit cleaned it up regreased and the sound was gone.

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 7:30 Quote
So its a clunk...

Isolated the crank from the chain, changed pedals, and I can even replicate it now if I just hold the crank arms and push them side to side (but not against each other up/down)

My mech still says no spacers are required, but there is a bit of play, but I doubt enough for the 2.5 mill spacer that comes with it, even just the one side (GXP BB)

worse part is, when I tried to tighten the bolt, the crank bolt stripped ugh... is it easy to find a replacement for an x1 crank bolt for SRAM?

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 10:02 Quote
r3cc0s wrote:
So its a clunk...

Isolated the crank from the chain, changed pedals, and I can even replicate it now if I just hold the crank arms and push them side to side (but not against each other up/down)

My mech still says no spacers are required, but there is a bit of play, but I doubt enough for the 2.5 mill spacer that comes with it, even just the one side (GXP BB)

worse part is, when I tried to tighten the bolt, the crank bolt stripped ugh... is it easy to find a replacement for an x1 crank bolt for SRAM?

Mechanic toasted your old cranks and also destroyed the new ones? Time for a new mechanic.

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 21:50 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
r3cc0s wrote:
So its a clunk...

Mechanic toasted your old cranks and also destroyed the new ones? Time for a new mechanic.

yeah the crank extractor and the bolt are both stripped Frown

at least they can be replaced and backed out.

going to try to add a smaller 1mm spacer on the drive side of the crank, as there is really just minimal play

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009478
Mobile Version of Website