51mm offset for 27.5

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 1:22 Quote
I'm in a sticky situation where I've been bought a second hand Yari 160 as a gift for my hardcore hardtail build with 27.5 wheels, BUT it's got a 51mm offset as it is actually a 29 orientated fork. The fork itself is immaculate and would be a real shame to get rid... So will it make a huge difference or is it so minor it won't bother me?

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 5:15 Quote
The long offset paired with a smaller diameter wheel will yield a very short trail measurement on the bike. This will reduce the steering's tendency to return to center under cornering force aka what the market calls "stability at speed." Personally, I would look around for a set of lowers with correct offset, but in the end its up to you. The bike will certainly be ride-able, and you could probably get accustomed to the differences and never look back. I say mount it up, go ride it on some fast trails, and see how it feels, but keep an eye out on PB for some lowers.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 21:57 Quote
Is it a 29" orientated fork or a straight up 29" fork?

A 29" fork is 20mm longer, so that puts you another degree slacker too.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 9:54 Quote
The fork is a 29er specific fork with 51mm offset being pretty much 29er specific anyway. It's now mounted to the bike I'm running a fair few tokens in the fork and have roughly 20% sag. It does feel maybe slightly flicky but it's certainly not a big problem. I'm gonna run it for a while and either just go with 29er wheels or swap it for a different fork depending on if it doesn't feel right thanks anyway guys

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 12:33 Quote
niallruston wrote:
The fork is a 29er specific fork with 51mm offset being pretty much 29er specific anyway. It's now mounted to the bike I'm running a fair few tokens in the fork and have roughly 20% sag. It does feel maybe slightly flicky but it's certainly not a big problem. I'm gonna run it for a while and either just go with 29er wheels or swap it for a different fork depending on if it doesn't feel right thanks anyway guys
Biggest thing to watch for is the front washing out in corners.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 21:50 Quote
My buddy bought a used bike like this. Didn’t know it had a 29 fork until we tried to change travel. End of the day, He seemed to do fine and quickly forgot about it

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010523
Mobile Version of Website