Meta AM29 vs Mega 290 vs. Capra 29

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Meta AM29 vs Mega 290 vs. Capra 29
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 10:14 Quote
So, I'm starting to think this upcoming off season will be time for a new bike. I've been on a Canfield Riot, which has been amazing, but is just a bit smaller than I want (I'm 6'4). I'm also looking for something I can get a bit rowdier with. I ride in the Canadian Rockies, so lots of climbing, but also lots of opportunities for shuttle laps. Rocks, roots, trees, steeps, drops, slabs, jumps, gaps, loam, dust and mud. A bit of everything.

Budget is always a concern, but these the Commencal Meta AM29, Nukeproof Mega 290 and YT Capra 29 seem to be rising to the top, both in performance and value. I don't think I'll be mad at any of these, but are there any particular reasons to go with one over the others?

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 10:34 Quote
As a Commencal Meta 29er owner, I am slightly biased. However, I was searching this segment for a bike not long ago, and these three were at the top of my list. Here's what I've found:

The YT gives the best spec for the price in most cases, but seems to be the least pedal friendly of the three. I am also quite tall (6'5"), and the XXL offering on the YT was tempting. But the linkage is super progressive, which leaves a lot of people lacking support if they tune their suspension to ever reach full travel. Finally, there is a whole long thread of unhappy Capra customers on here speaking of issues with their new bikes and how long it takes YT to resolve them. I probably still would've gotten this bike but it seems to always be out of stock and I am rather impatient.

The Nukeproof also seems like a good choice with a decent spec for the price, but is known to be quite flexy. Also the only place that I could find to buy one was CRC, where international shipping and VAT further reduced the value. The geometry of this one is appealing though, as the XL Mega is similar in reach to the XXL Capra. Also, the back end on this bike is quite long (450mm), and although this is probably more "stable" and "balanced" at speed, I like to screw around a lot and prefer a shorter back end.

The Commencal is the smallest of the three in size XL reach wise, and has the shortest back end. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is extremely maneuverable despite its travel and intended application. The biggest downside to this bike is its weight, but this has not been something I've noticed at all. The reason that I ended up going for this bike was the sale on the 2019 Ride model. It comes with decent suspension and I already had a drivetrain, wheels, and brakes to swap on.

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 7:36 Quote
I would get the Mega- the longer chainstays will make you sit inbetween the bikes and not at the Back (as it will be with the Meta).

It will climb better because of this and descend more balanced as the front wheel wont wash out that fast.

The short stays may feel little more snappy but suck literally everywhere else- especially if you get 470mm+ reach

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 9:02 Quote
NotNamed wrote:
I would get the Mega- the longer chainstays will make you sit inbetween the bikes and not at the Back (as it will be with the Meta).

It will climb better because of this and descend more balanced as the front wheel wont wash out that fast.

The short stays may feel little more snappy but suck literally everywhere else- especially if you get 470mm+ reach

I’m riding a bike with a 414 chain stay and 476 reach right now. I’ve also up forked my bike by 20mm, so it’s pretty light in the front. Anything new is going to feel longer, more stretched out and stable. Ha ha

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 10:12 Quote
https://enduro-mtb.com/en/best-enduro-bike-you-can-buy/

Here’s a good shootout, although the Nukeproof 27.5 was in it rather than the 29. Sounds like the new Canyon Strive 29er is a winner too.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 19:01 Quote
Camstyn wrote:
https://enduro-mtb.com/en/best-enduro-bike-you-can-buy/

Here’s a good shootout, although the Nukeproof 27.5 was in it rather than the 29. Sounds like the new Canyon Strive 29er is a winner too.

Thanks for posting this. I have a 2019 Strive 8.0 on order so this article was cool to see. Everything I have read about the new strive says the shapeshifter is a agame changer and works beautifully. You basically get the best of both worlds which is pretty cool.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009679
Mobile Version of Website