Finding motivation to ride

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Finding motivation to ride
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 9:19 Quote
Anyone have tips on finding motivation to ride. Been working 2 jobs since April and my cycling has suffered tremendously. As a result I have put on some weight, and been feeling kind of humdrum and exhausted. I've been to the Dr and everything checks out ok, except for my testosterone, which is low. So a trip to the Urologist will be scheduled soon. I'll be 43 next month and need to find my mojo and passion for riding again. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 7:50 Quote
frdfandc wrote:
Anyone have tips on finding motivation to ride. Been working 2 jobs since April and my cycling has suffered tremendously. As a result I have put on some weight, and been feeling kind of humdrum and exhausted. I've been to the Dr and everything checks out ok, except for my testosterone, which is low. So a trip to the Urologist will be scheduled soon. I'll be 43 next month and need to find my mojo and passion for riding again. Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like you're fairly busy with those 2 jobs so first off its more than understandable. In my current situation in life I don't lake the motivation to ride, but I do often lack the determination to ride at or near my skill level to continue learning and getting better. As such, I've come up with a few ways to force myself to ride the stuff I too often avoid. I think they may be applicable here too.

First off; plan your ride.
Plan the next time you're riding, every time. The route, the trails you'll ride, even use trailforks to build the ride down to the detail. This will do 2 things: build anticipation/excitement for the ride, and take the guess work and decision making out of the ride itself. This will allow you to just ride, and enjoy doing so.

Second; Ride alone.
Until you find yourself making it out frequently, don't depend on others to ride with you. Too often the speed bumps that others can bring [forgot items, late to arrive, etc.] can create a distraction and make the overall feel of the ride less than it otherwise would have been. These things are understandable, and will happen when riding with others, hell I'm sometimes that guy. I just think that scheduling rides with others leaves more to chance.

Last: It's not about outcomes.
Remind yourself repeatedly that the ride itself is what you're after. Any outcomes achieved as a result (weight loss, fitness, meeting new friends, etc.) are a bonus, but the ride itself is the adventure you're seeking.
So get out there and enjoy that next ride for all its worth!

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 8:38 Quote
Motivation is a difficult thing to pin down as everyone has different motivators, if you will let me get away with that .

There are days that I feel flat as pee on a pancake and I find that when I force myself to ride within minutes of hitting the trail I feel so much better. A release from the everyday routine. A freedom to explore and just to exert some effort physically. I typically ride solo for reasons outlined above.

Two keys I try to think of. How does riding make you feel when you are out? (Great!)
How do you feel after your ride? (Great!)

I am 56 and I do have to manage my ride time so that I don't hurt myself so I am usually ride every second day when possible. Routine is part of simply allowing yourself time to ride.

The payoff is better health/fitness. I am down 10 lbs from last year at this time and I am only riding more consistently than I was and also riding a fatbike through the winter. (Fun as hell and highly recommended for maintaining strength and improving bike handling skills). I wasn't overweight before but I am much leaner now.

With the improved fitness comes higher energy levels better sleep etc... Well worth the effort.

I have found that if I wear the goofy compression tights that I have for skiing combined with the equally goofy compression shirt I wear for hockey after my ride my recovery time is so much shorter and I don't have that flooded heavy leg feeling after a heavy ride with tons of climbing. Maybe it is my imagination but this have become part of my post ride routine. (I do wear a long sleeve tee and light pants over this combo so my neighbors don't think I am crazy!!)

Glad to see that you have consulted your physician. Eliminating illness or depression is a very important thing to consider.

Not sure that this helps you at all but I know it has been working for me.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008436
Mobile Version of Website