Removing and reinstalling fox 36 steerer tube and stanchions

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Removing and reinstalling fox 36 steerer tube and stanchions
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 10:52 Quote
Has anyone had their creaking/cracking steerer Tube and stanchions pressed out the csu and pressed back in with success... ie stopped the noises?

I've got a local suspension shop that can do it but I'd like to hear if it's a long-term solution before parting with cash.

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 14:53 Quote
If it's pressed out there is no way to press it back together tighter than it was, it's going to be worse because the interface tolerances are ruined

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 12:08 Quote
Well that depends on the method of process which is used,
if you apply extreme force to the inside of the steerer to
expand the steerer a little, then you would overcome the
loose fit when re fitting, in theory.

Does anyone know first hand of exactly what this process is ?

There are small companys that fit stanchions and steerers, perhaps
they may be descent enough to share the knowledge of method to satisfy these issues.

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 12:11 Quote
creaking is most likely steerer tube. if your getting it pressed out just order a new one from nd tuned and have that pressed in instead of the old one pressed back in. that doesnt make sense

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 13:34 Quote
Well from the research I've done, the noises are emitted due to fretting between the two mating surfaces but also due to ingress of dirt when washing the bike.
When they are detached, cleaned and repressed, the absence of fret material and dirt eliminates the noises.

The noise I get is a loud crack when slamming the front or descending large steps and chunder on a trail.

I've removed and reinstalled the headset cups just in case and the bearings are spot on. Plus when it happens, it's pretty obvious where it's emitting from.

I swear they manufacturer them in this way to encourage people to buy new products.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011190
Mobile Version of Website