Noob, help me create a DH / enduro rear wheel build

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Noob, help me create a DH / enduro rear wheel build
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 5:54 Quote
Hello all ,

This my first real DH bike ,till now i only had hardtail bikes , had this bike for 2 months and replaced 10 rear tubes at least .

Rear setup :
- sizes : 26 x 2.4
- tyre. .: Continental xking 2.4
- rim. . : do not know , but it has a sticker on it saying "remex rdx extreme jumbo 7340"
- tyres : 8 times continental 26 x 1.7 - 2.5 - bad tyres pucture very easily
- - - - - - Ninth tire was a maxis 26 x 2.2-2.6 no puncture but the valve got ruptured ( there was a crack at the valve - tube joint ) after 5 rides ( also had very low pressure ) so this got me scared more than puctures
- - - - - Tenth tire was a Michelin 26 x 2.4 - 2.8 "heavy duty", similar problem , had a Presta valve and after 2 rides the presta got 1 foot inside the tyre , like it slided inside or something

I am going to ditch all this and buy new rim/tyre/tube , still looking for 26x2.4 format . My first concern will be to have no more punctures , then to be suited for my kind of riding , 30% DH , 40% Enduro , 30% street .

Can you help me find something puncture free and good for DH/Enduro riding plus some asphalt for connecting ?

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 7:35 Quote
Get rid of inner tubes and go for tubeless setup. Also xking is not really dh nor enduro tyre. You should opt for atleast maxxis double down or schwalbe super gravity casings or similar if not dh casing.

For rims dt Swiss ex471 is good option. Stan's flow ex is also good rim. If you are going to keep your original hubs, you still likely need new spokes. Dt Swiss competition or sapim race spokes are good. If you have no wheel building experience, I suggest to leave it to professionals.

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 9:12 Quote
Pollari wrote:
Get rid of inner tubes and go for tubeless setup. Also xking is not really dh nor enduro tyre. You should opt for atleast maxxis double down or schwalbe super gravity casings or similar if not dh casing.

For rims dt Swiss ex471 is good option. Stan's flow ex is also good rim. If you are going to keep your original hubs, you still likely need new spokes. Dt Swiss competition or sapim race spokes are good. If you have no wheel building experience, I suggest to leave it to professionals.

Tubeless sounds good , but a wheel without spokes sounds not so good , why do i have to build the rims ? are there not already pre-build rims with spokes ?

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 10:02 Quote
Sure there are prebuild wheels. I thought you wanted to replace rim as you said in your post. You might have bit limited options on prebuild wheels with 26" size. Since you seem to be in Europe, check www.actionsports.de. from there you can select hub, spokes and rim and have them build with quite good price. Dt Swiss 350 hub is quite good hub in price/performance point of view.

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 12:58 Quote
Ok , thank you for the information , now for the tubeless technology , my biggest fear is that it will eat again valves , what can i do to prevent vales from being ripped ?

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 3:25 Quote
Stans no tubes flow mk3 come in 26". Great rim or whole wheel. Iv just built a set of wheels with these rims and profile hubs. Great

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 5:25 Quote
cozsmin wrote:
Ok , thank you for the information , now for the tubeless technology , my biggest fear is that it will eat again valves , what can i do to prevent vales from being ripped ?

Valves being ripped out is not an issue I have ever seen. The valve is inbetween the spokes, so that sounds like a freak or one time accident, but maybe this is an issue you've seen? On most tubeless setups changing the valve is pretty easy once the tire is pulled off the rim.

If I was you I would look at what Chain Reaction can build for you. They are out of the UK and build solid wheels for a good price. Personally I am a fan of Hope hubs on Flow rims with brass nipples and DT Swiss spokes, but the suggestions above are also good. Everyone has their own favorite based on their specific experiences. Prebuilt wheels are an option, but Chain Reaction will build you a custom wheelset and let you pick the hubs, rim, nipples, and spokes. They also should have the expertise to help you decide what you want if you are unsure of what all you want in a wheel.

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 7:22 Quote
For a 2.4 tire you could go either ex471 or ex511.. Either way those are the rims you should choose (sorry stans flow wheels turn to squares). For a rear tire definitely dh casing.
Look into tubeless, and if you are hard on equipment/rear wheels look into cushcore. Since installing cushcore over a year ago I havent had a single flat or a single dent (knocks on wood).

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010986
Mobile Version of Website