Plus sized tire choice?

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 6:14 Quote
hey all.

So my bike came with 2.8 Maxxis DHF/R tires on plus sized 35mm rims. (650b)

I'm getting a new wheelset next month which will be 33mm wide. halo's website states they are made for tires up to 2.6 wide so im thinking of going down to a 2.5/2.6 ish size. My main rides are sort of like cannock chase, but i do also love going to jump parks and very occasional downhill.

i want it to roll faster and make my XC rides a bit less effort but still have great grip in berms etc. Also hoping the thinner profile will shed some weight too. Can anyone recommend any nice tyres? i'd love skin walls but it's not an issue if not.

I'll also be keeping the DHF/R too for the winter as they're great in boggy conditions, but would like a 'summer/'dry' tyre choice which suits the dust trails of the summer a bit better.

Thanks

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 10:14 Quote
Maxxis Rekon is a really good all-around tire. Not too heavy, good cornering lugs, available in 2.4, 2.6 and 2.8.

I would go for 2.6, standard EXO on the front, EXO+ on the rear for added protection. Should be a fun combo.

Cheers!

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 18:14 Quote
Avoid the maxxis forekaster it is a dumpster fire with no grip in any condition but hero dirt. I really enjoyed the wtb rangers in 2.8 but they wear kind of fast. I've been on Bontrager kick recently and like the xr4 which comes in a lot of plus sizes. I have a friend riding the 2.6 nobby nics. He hasn't complained but also hasn't been raving either.

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 19:01 Quote
The Rekon 2.6 is a hard tire to dislike for xc type stuff. I have been running one for some time on the front and it handles everything well, except for mud. I would not want to run it for jumping or really tough on tires type terrain. It is light, rolls well and the Maxterra version grips really well. I am running it on a 29.5mm ID Stans Flow with no issues. I really don't see why you could not run 2.8 on the 33mm rim, unless you just want to try something else.

When I say light, it weighs 765g or so.

I have not tried the larger Forekaster, but was pleased well enough with the 2.35 though they skid easier.

I have a 2.6 NN hanging in the garage that I did not like. Too heavy for my liking and the performance was lack luster just like the 2.35 version.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 0:20 Quote
franck22 wrote:
Maxxis Rekon is a really good all-around tire. Not too heavy, good cornering lugs, available in 2.4, 2.6 and 2.8.

I would go for 2.6, standard EXO on the front, EXO+ on the rear for added protection. Should be a fun combo.

Cheers!

Thanks mate will take a look. Sounds like what i'm looking for!

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 0:25 Quote
gmoss wrote:
The Rekon 2.6 is a hard tire to dislike for xc type stuff. I have been running one for some time on the front and it handles everything well, except for mud. I would not want to run it for jumping or really tough on tires type terrain. It is light, rolls well and the Maxterra version grips really well. I am running it on a 29.5mm ID Stans Flow with no issues. I really don't see why you could not run 2.8 on the 33mm rim, unless you just want to try something else.

When I say light, it weighs 765g or so.

I have not tried the larger Forekaster, but was pleased well enough with the 2.35 though they skid easier.

I have a 2.6 NN hanging in the garage that I did not like. Too heavy for my liking and the performance was lack luster just like the 2.35 version.

Will definitely look at the rekons thanks mate. 765 is pretty much 200g lighter per tire than my DHRs! plus the new wheelset is lighter & the new brakes & stem will also be.

I love the look of the 2.8's, i just don't find them to feel very fast when hitting flow trails that have berms and jumps and things. although, they are incredibly smooth, can barely feel anything it's like a monster truck.

the thing with the 2.8's is i feel like the profile is quite square, i struggle to throw the bike into a berm when leaning in if you know what i mean. not sure if that's just down to the DHR's but i wanted to try and make it a more agile/playful bike. All in all hopefully making it feel lighter and more chuckable

Thanks for the advice!

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 at 17:05 Quote
Another vote for the 2.8 Recon
I've been running it paired with a 2.8 Minion DHF on the front.
It's been a good allrounder combo for the local terrain in Wellington (Lots of rocks and roots on my usual rides).

Posted: Jul 27, 2019 at 13:36 Quote
As Mudcycles said, the Rekon rear and Minion front combination is a winner. I personally like it best in 2.6 but I have to do a fair bit of riding just to get to the trails around here so I don’t mind sacrificing some grip to save on weight and drag.

I’d also consider a High Roller II in the front. Seems to be less popular than the minion but it’s a decent choice

Posted: Jul 28, 2019 at 14:58 Quote
I reckon NNs 2.8 put me off the whole plus experience tbf but would opt for Maxxis anyday any place if I were to go back to plus

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 9:16 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
I reckon NNs 2.8 put me off the whole plus experience tbf but would opt for Maxxis anyday any place if I were to go back to plus

I noticed you’re in Devon, you’re very welcome to try out my bike with Maxxis 2.8’s on it at some point if you like!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009034
Mobile Version of Website