Mixed wheel sizes

PB Forum :: Downhill
Mixed wheel sizes
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 22:39 Quote
I was reading the article on Mick Hannah’s bike and it got me looking into mixed wheel sizes. I’ve got a 2016 27.5 demo 8 that is in need of a new fork and wheel set, and low and behold I found a 29er Fox 40 for a decent price. Other than the article I haven’t found much info on mixed wheel sizes on dh bikes unless there is already a thread that I haven’t been able to find from my phone. If so point me in that direction. If not let me know your thoughts or personal experience!!

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 16:23 Quote
Moto has been doing it for years the bigger front will give you the ability to plow thru rough spots and the smaller wheel in the back will give you the flick you need to corner .. that's my opinion on mullet bikes

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 16:45 Quote
If the bike to be converted starts life as a 27.5", then the head angle will get slacker and the BB will get higher. If the bike starts as a 29", the head angle will become slacker and the BB may become dangerously low.

The Demo had a low BB, so it won't get unreasonably high with the longer fork - and you have the option to reduce the travel. The head angle will get pretty slack, but, again, not unreasonable.

It should become a little better at speed and in very rough terrain, but it won't be all upside and no downside. Slacker, higher, bigger wheel ... it's going to require more effort to muscle it around. If you're up for that, then maybe give it a try; if you like the current agility of the front end, you may not want to lose that.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008328
Mobile Version of Website