Roval Traverse Rims are made of cheese

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Roval Traverse Rims are made of cheese
Previous Page |
Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 2:21 Quote
Hi,

I bought a specialized Enduro 2018 in October.

1st ride out, one the very start of the 1st DH section (it was quite a mild one) I dented my rim and split the butcher tyre (which are also shocking). I was gutted. I was tubeless and had about 30PSI in, they were rock solid.

I contacted Roval warranty to see if this would be covered considering it was the 1st 10 mins of riding the bike. It was not.

I put it down to the crappy Butcher Grid tyre and swapped them for my trusty Schwalbe Dirty Dan/Magic Mary Super Grav Addix thinking, I will be all good from then on. Every single ride I came home with another dent.

All the time my wheel was becoming more and more wobbly, it was past the point of truing it. The final straw was getting another dent on top of another dent (which wasnt hard because they were starting to resemble a 50p) and the bead completely folded over.

I put a ranty post on Instagram and had a representative from Roval comment on there stating that he wanted to sort this and I should DM him. Awesome!

He made absolutely no effort to "sort" anything, just wanted it out of the public view and in the DM. I was told this is an isolated case and there are "literally tens of thousands of these in the wild with no problems". Since then I have been on a campaign of awareness and found everyone who has Rovals, or has had them, or knows someone who has had them agrees with me.

My main argument with them was the wheels are spec'd and fitted to a bike named the f*cking Enduro!! and they endured 10 mins of riding.

So I have made this comedy video for them!

Enjoy Smile

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 5:22 Quote
Brilliant! I was laughing so hard I could hardly drink my morning coffee. Thanks for the laugh!

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 6:20 Quote
steezyriderPNW wrote:
Brilliant! I was laughing so hard I could hardly drink my morning coffee. Thanks for the laugh!

Glad you enjoyed it. Trying to raise awareness and a few smiles along the way

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 3:04 Quote
My friend has a 2018 Enduro, same situation. !st decent ride at park and his roval broke spokes and flat spotted. Wasn't covered by warranty so he purchased a Hope rim. No problems since

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 3:59 Quote
JNZ wrote:
My friend has a 2018 Enduro, same situation. !st decent ride at park and his roval broke spokes and flat spotted. Wasn't covered by warranty so he purchased a Hope rim. No problems since

Exactly what happened to me. I put a post on instagram and had David Koesel (Leader at Specialized US) comment asking me to DM him and he wanted to sort it. As soon as we got to DM he didnt want to sort it at all. At 1 stage he said that he was trying to envision a scenario if they replaced the wheels where they wouldnt just dent again... Thats an admission that product is sub par and not capable of what the bike is built to do.

In the end I give up on them, and bought a set of Hopes. Which annoyed me because I am now out of pocket by £400 but I have a wheelset I can trust, hopefully. Or I am making another video haha

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 13:21 Quote
I was LOLing as soon as I saw the thumbnail. And it only got better.

But seriously, 1700g “enduro” wheels with 24 spokes? Sounds like a great idea.

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 14:30 Quote
That video was done, redone and over done at Slowtwitch, and even this site so so long ago....

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 23:15 Quote
eicca wrote:

Thanks alot. Glad you enjoyed the Vid.

But ou are exactly right. How the hell can you put a 24h wheel on an Enduro bike. Recipe for disaster.

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 23:16 Quote
RoadStain wrote:
That video was done, redone and over done at Slowtwitch, and even this site so so long ago....

Someone else has done one of these against Roval? I'd like to see that. Have you got a source?

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 23:23 Quote
eicca wrote:

Really? I’ve got 32h Flows on my “trail” bike!

Does slow me down a bit up the hills mind you...

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 3:52 Quote
BarneyStinson wrote:
eicca wrote:

Really? I’ve got 32h Flows on my “trail” bike!

Does slow me down a bit up the hills mind you...

Yes, weirdly enough the Enduro comes with Roval Traverse R28h F24h. Just glad I didnt buy the wheels outright based on reviews (which are surprisingly good) because they are frightfully expensive and made out of cheese.

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 5:12 Quote
SRAM is crap and they wont warranty? What a surprise.

RoadStain wrote:

They were quite popular for AMD vs nVidia a few years back on tech sites.

Funny Hitler... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WjanqQ0ANxY

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 at 4:17 Quote
I have a set of traverses that have been great. I bought them as takeoffs and didn’t pay much for them but have been very happy with how they have held up.
Specialized/Roval also offers a 2 year warranty from time of original purchase regardless of if you are the original owner. IMO this is an awesome perk, but doesn’t do much good if they will not honor their warranty. Sucks you had issues, hopefully your new wheels have better luck.

Also noticed you said it was a 24h wheel? Were you riding the Traverse SL? I have Traverse Carbon 29’s but they are 28h front and rear. I understand they probably came stock but SL anything on a enduro rig smells like trouble.

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 at 12:02 Quote
I have a 2017 enduro elite had it for just over a year and I must say they’ve held up well, just starting to get a bit of play in the front bearings. I will eventually replace them with hopes but for now they are straight and seem solid.

Posted: Aug 8, 2019 at 14:02 Quote
iRaves wrote:
JNZ wrote:
Exactly what happened to me. I put a post on instagram and had David Koesel (Leader at Specialized US) comment asking me to DM him and he wanted to sort it. As soon as we got to DM he didnt want to sort it at all. At 1 stage he said that he was trying to envision a scenario if they replaced the wheels where they wouldnt just dent again... Thats an admission that product is sub par and not capable of what the bike is built to do.
In the end I give up on them, and bought a set of Hopes. Which annoyed me because I am now out of pocket by £400 but I have a wheelset I can trust, hopefully. Or I am making another video haha

Sorry you felt that way Ryan and that you took this path. I needed to know where you purchased the wheel/bike, where you were located (UK market having different organization than EU, US, Canada, etc...) then contact the parties in market, the rider-care department in that market, the dealer, etc. I wish I could have accomplished the connection as quickly as you made the video.

Having been exposed to the level of testing that goes into the product (and any product from any manufacturer) the impact energy the wheel will absorb is very high. If you exceeded that energy with an impact to the rim with a deflated tire then I expect that each time that scenario is repeated it will cause the same damage. Now all that mumbo jumbo is a great way of saying we test the wheels, and have sold them for many years resulting in 10,000s of satisfied customers. That doesn't help you, however. As I mentioned to you before, I'm pleased you're back on the trails with your Hope wheels. I remain at your service should you want to further the previous dialogue on getting your damaged 28 hole Traverse rear wheel evaluated.

-SD

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006625
Mobile Version of Website