2020 Stumpjumper ST or Kona 153 Process SE

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
2020 Stumpjumper ST or Kona 153 Process SE
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 10:37 Quote
The main question: Should I purchase the new 2020 Stumpjumper ST or the Kona Process 153 SE?

Hey guys, I'm a born and raised Alaskan, and have been on a mountain bike since i can remember. The only thing is is that i have been on the SAME mountain bike for over 15 years. I currently ride a hardtail 2003 Novara Bonanza 26" 24 speed. The bike hasn't failed me before and gets me through every trail i take it on, besides those damn root trails.

I have been riding single track for years and I have recently found out about the new downhills we have now in Anchorage. I have fallen in love with them. For the ascent i feel like my bike is still great, it's on these new DH trails that I finally feel that my bike is the thing holding me back from progressing in the sport.

So i am looking for a bike that is descent in ascending (doesn't lose too much power in pedaling uphill) that is also fun and safe for pushing my limits on the DH trails.

I have been doing hours upon hours of research on bikes and have tested a couple (being on 27.5" and 29" wheels is very strange). I have narrowed it down to the two bikes listed above: the 2020 Stumpjumper ST and the Kona Process 153 SE (these are really at the very extent that my savings can handle). Which would you all suggest and why? I'm at that point before a huge purchase that I'm super nervous, but also extremely excited.

Thank you to everyone that puts in their feedback.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 17:11 Quote
Mac907 wrote:
The main question: Should I purchase the new 2020 Stumpjumper ST or the Kona Process 153 SE?

Hey guys, I'm a born and raised Alaskan, and have been on a mountain bike since i can remember. The only thing is is that i have been on the SAME mountain bike for over 15 years. I currently ride a hardtail 2003 Novara Bonanza 26" 24 speed. The bike hasn't failed me before and gets me through every trail i take it on, besides those damn root trails.

I have been riding single track for years and I have recently found out about the new downhills we have now in Anchorage. I have fallen in love with them. For the ascent i feel like my bike is still great, it's on these new DH trails that I finally feel that my bike is the thing holding me back from progressing in the sport.

So i am looking for a bike that is descent in ascending (doesn't lose too much power in pedaling uphill) that is also fun and safe for pushing my limits on the DH trails.

I have been doing hours upon hours of research on bikes and have tested a couple (being on 27.5" and 29" wheels is very strange). I have narrowed it down to the two bikes listed above: the 2020 Stumpjumper ST and the Kona Process 153 SE (these are really at the very extent that my savings can handle). Which would you all suggest and why? I'm at that point before a huge purchase that I'm super nervous, but also extremely excited.

personally id go for the Kona have you considered a used bike?

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 21:07 Quote
Mac907 wrote:

Both great bikes, the Kona will descend better the stumpy will climb better. I might be a bit biased towards the kona (have a 2018 153) but I would go with the Kona as descending is more fun than climbing. Having said that they will both be fun!

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 23:08 Quote
Of these two, I like the Process 153 because it's the better descender. If you're looking for a bike to enjoy some downhill trails, you should prioritize performance in those conditions.

Even better, though, would be the new Norco Fluid 3 or 4:

- Much less "squish" when climbing than the Kona due to very different suspension kinematics
- Great geometry for descending, which is rare on an entry-level bike with modest travel
- 29" wheels - yes, they feel different, but you'll get used to them and probably prefer them
- Has a dropper seatpost, unlike the Specialized
- Comes with 2.6" tires, which is a width I've really been enjoying this year

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013208
Mobile Version of Website