Ebikes? love them or hate them?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Ebikes? love them or hate them?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 7:33 Quote
Hey Riders,

I just got myself a new YT DECOY and what a beast, love to hear what more people think of Ebikes and what people are riding... lots of PHOTOS please..

I just dropped my first ride video... anyone that hasn't tried a Ebike give it ago they really are a lot of fun...

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 10:42 Quote
I've not tried one but I think they are a great idea. I've seen and met lots people who are physically unable to ride a normal bike riding e-bikes and enjoying one of best sports out there. I live to ride my bike, I don't know what I would do without it and I will definitely purchase one if injury or age makes it difficult to pedal a normal bike.

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 14:50 Quote
It just occurred to me that my wife could keep up with me if I got one for her. Whether that's a positive or a negative is anyone's guess. Confused lol

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 18:26 Quote
I can see myself on one at some point down the road. Living in the foothills of NC, I don't get to travel the couple hours to ride the mtns like I did when I was young. Now, I am limited to local trails and in pretty good shape for them, considering I am 50 now. I would like to have one for the mtns because being in shape to enjoy the riding up there is quite different than being in shape for here. But, for me, I will be waiting, hoping they get less powerful, smaller motors, batteries, less weight, longer distance, etc. so they are not such a penalty otherwise. Be great if there was a sub 10lb weight penalty, and you could remove the battery for the days you don't want to ride with "assistance". I can see the tech moving more that direction in the coming years. I don't need a rocket ship that weighs 50lbs, just something to help when I tire, extend my energy for rides in the mtns, etc., with a longer battery life. I look forward to watching this tech evolve. Until then, I will suffer, to stay in shape for the riding I do. I do enjoy the accomplishment of gaining endurance over time on the climbs, but climbing a 50' hill is not comparable to climbing for a mile or more. LOL

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 12:08 Quote
I was riding a steep trail last week, huffing and puffing and on the verge of puking at times. Then partway up the climb I was passed by a couple on ebikes. They looked well dressed, from a JCrew catalog. One bike even had a front woven basket with a cooler with probably lunch. Once I finally made it to the top they greeted me ever so plesantly and kindly asked how much further the trail was. Seemed it was their first time. I told them it was about 12 miles more, expecting them to look a bit alarmed. Nope, they simply looked at each other and I heard them say they had plenty of juice to get them through and back home. They then went on their way, sweatless mind you. And they looked decently in shape, maybe mid 30's.

I get why people like ebikes, it makes a lot of things less challenging, and maybe in some cases it's a necessity to enjoy riding again (ie: injuries, age). But I have to admit, it really was sucky to polish off that climb with blood sweat and tears, only to be easily beaten by a couple out on a nice picnic lunch dressed really nice.

Obviously people have different ideas about mountain biking, so I can't say ebikes are bad since it does get more people into the sport. I just will try to hold off on them until my body can no longer pedal a bike up a steep incline on its own. hopefully that won't be for a long while.

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 12:12 Quote
So enjoying oneself in a manner different to you offends you?

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 12:15 Quote
Sooner or later I'll meet one going fast up the trail I'm going fast down. I probably won't like that one very much. Other than that they're like moustaches. Haven't got one, not likely to get one, don't really care if anyone else has one.

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 12:17 Quote
reverend27 wrote:

If by a "different manner" means working less using electric assistance when you could most-likely pedal a normal bike, then yes it was a bit of a bummer to me. Offensive may be too strong of a word.

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 12:24 Quote
b-w wrote:
reverend27 wrote:

If by a "different manner" means working less using electric assistance when you could most-likely pedal a normal bike, then yes it was a bit of a bummer to me. Offensive may be too strong of a word.
Ya well I own a truck but the only time I drive it is to the trailhead. I ride my bike everywhere.

Should I be bummed at all the people who drive but are capable of pedaling a bike or walking?

Should I watch you pull up to work in a car and be bummed knowing you have a bike?

Wtf. What bums me out are people that judge me for not being more like them.

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 17:23 Quote
My friend is 75 years old, I doubt he would ride much if he didn't ride an Ebike, but he does ride an Ebike, and he rides all the time, and he rides FAST. [YT=][PV=]https://www.pinkbike.com/video/502944/

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 20:08 Quote
People here ride them on the sidewalks in spite of there being a bike lane in the street. If you want a motorcycle, just buy a motorcycle.

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 14:59 Quote
reverend27 wrote:
b-w wrote:
reverend27 wrote:

Ya well I own a truck but the only time I drive it is to the trailhead. I ride my bike everywhere.

Should I be bummed at all the people who drive but are capable of pedaling a bike or walking?

Should I watch you pull up to work in a car and be bummed knowing you have a bike?

Wow. Chillax bro. Nobody peed in your Wheaties. These are bikes, not attempted cures for cancer.

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 15:17 Quote
b-w wrote:
reverend27 wrote:
b-w wrote:

Wow. Chillax bro. Nobody peed in your Wheaties. These are bikes, not attempted cures for cancer.
Exactly. Tend to your own knitting and let them enjoy their picnic.

O+
Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 7:15 Quote
reverend27, may I ask since what year have you been riding?

I'm curious of the demographics of those that support e-bikes on MTB trails vs those that don't.

To disclose for myself, I started riding in 2000 in New England and I think e-bikes should be classified as motorized and managed as such.

O+
Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 8:13 Quote
It’s pretty funny how many so called hard core mountain bikers think e-bikes are the spawn of Satan but will happily spend all day driving up and down the same bumpy dusty road beating the crap out of their trucks with their $10,000 carbon superbikes in the back.

Personally, I don’t have one-yet. The idea of pedalling just as hard and going twice as far is becoming more and more appealing though.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010572
Mobile Version of Website