Ripmo & Hightower 2 - anyone ridden both?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Ripmo & Hightower 2 - anyone ridden both?
Previous Page |
Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 4:25 Quote
Hi, I'm about to buy a new bike and I like the Ibis Ripmo and the new Santacruz Hightower 2. Has anyone ridden both bikes and if so what did they think?

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 16:22 Quote
Im interested to hear as well.

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 18:32 Quote
I demoed both and went with the Ripmo. Both were very similar on the down, the Ripmo clearly was a better climber. Plus I was able to do a custom build with a MRP coil front fork with tons of adjustability for the same price.

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 21:04 Quote
One of the big review sites did a short term write up on the Ripmo and the test rider owned a Hightower LT. He gave a laundry list of reasons why he liked the Ripmo over the Hightower and ultimately bought a Ripmo. You can find the write up on the Ibis Twitter.

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 21:47 Quote
I personally prefer my ripmo having ridden my buddy's hightower. It's more playful and the suspension setup is not as fiddly

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 7:43 Quote
Will022505 wrote:
I personally prefer my ripmo having ridden my buddy's hightower. It's more playful and the suspension setup is not as fiddly

Is that the new Hightower?

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 8:15 Quote
Yea he got it about 3 weeks ago and we took a trip up to big bear in SoCal to break it in

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 7:34 Quote
It appears that Ibis’ 2020 spec Ripmo is now available (at least on the Swiss importer’s website). It looks like there’s now a choice of 12 speed SLX & XT too - decisions, decisions! They’ve also bumped the prices up a bit which if anything makes the Santacruz Hightower a bit more attractive.

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 7:54 Quote
korev wrote:
It appears that Ibis’ 2020 spec Ripmo is now available (at least on the Swiss importer’s website). It looks like there’s now a choice of 12 speed SLX & XT too - decisions, decisions! They’ve also bumped the prices up a bit which if anything makes the Santacruz Hightower a bit more attractive.

Yep I think those builds have been available in the US a couple weeks. Glad to see 12sp shimano builds available.

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 23:48 Quote
I’ve taken the plunge and have ordered an XT Ripmo

Posted: Aug 17, 2019 at 8:18 Quote
korev wrote:

Nice. It's gonna be great!

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 9:49 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
korev wrote:

Yep I think those builds have been available in the US a couple weeks. Glad to see 12sp shimano builds available.

Interesting that they didn't update the colors. Perhaps they correctly realized that their 'tangerine sky' is the best paint job in the history of bikes.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 0:52 Quote
ColinFerguson wrote:
Interesting that they didn't update the colors. Perhaps they correctly realized that their 'tangerine sky' is the best paint job in the history of bikes.

Both colour schemes are great, I went for the “tangerine sky”. Smile I’m hoping it’ll arrive quickly.

The shop thinks they won’t change the bike much for a couple of years

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 0:54 Quote
50105010 wrote:
korev wrote:

Nice. It's gonna be great!

I’m really looking forward to it Big Grin

It’s amazing how slow and under-powered my existing bike (2014 Norco Sight) feels after riding the other big 29ers!

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 6:15 Quote
I am also looking at the ripmo vs Hightower 2 vs evil offering. Demoed a lg ripmo now demoing a medium. The ripmo is s rocket ship as advertised but the lg felt a little too big for me at 5’10” on tight tech single track. Going to demo Hightower 2 when my local shop gets them in. Also going to try the offering but cost of the offering is a big negative.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008463
Mobile Version of Website