Riding Whistler with a Pooch

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Riding Whistler with a Pooch
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 10:13 Quote
Hey, I’m going to Whistler this weekend while my lady attends a yoga festival. We are tent camping the whole time. I’m bringing my trail bike and really want to cram some riding in. Her schedule is packed with yoga and I will barely be with her.

Here’s the issue: we are bringing our dog. Dog is very well behaved trail dog, who loves mountain biking with me. I’m no doubt, going to be in charge of the dog all weekend. So I know I’m not heading into the park with a dog, but any suggestions for nearby trails that are dog friendly? Bonus points if they are on Trailforks. Also, I’m on a trail bike, not a proper DH.

Thanks so much for suggestions

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 20:50 Quote
You should have no problem riding in Whistler with your dog, as I never do when I bring mine with me. Most trails other than the bike park are fine to bring your dog with you.

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 7:56 Quote
DugS wrote:
You should have no problem riding in Whistler with your dog, as I never do when I bring mine with me. Most trails other than the bike park are fine to bring your dog with you.

Bike park obviously no, but also not allowed on sproatt alpine trails (lord of the squirrels etc) and the Blackcomb trails.

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 12:44 Quote
Any suggested trails? All the top rated trails are all in the park. Thanks guys

O+
Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 22:21 Quote
speed10 wrote:
Any suggested trails? All the top rated trails are all in the park. Thanks guys

With the wet weather forecasted there's some that might be better choices than others. Looks like wet Friday, warm sunny Saturday and Sunday. I made a post like a week ago somewhere suggesting wet weather trails, I'll copy paste it;

For mellower (but still fun) trails to ride in the wet, lost lake zappa trails are good. Cut yer bars area is all good, can add some harder options on 'roll yer bones'. The lower west side stuff is all good, you can make a good zigzagging loop of those from south to north doing lower sproatt/peice of cake/a la mode/3birds/middle danimal/up stone bridge dr/lower sproatt/ down 99er/up stone bridge again/danimal North or beaver pass (there's one big rock roll on beaver pass at the end of the clear cut, gets slick but there's a go around) /up whip me snip me/lower bintys (there's 1 steep chute thing that has a go around on bintys)

For a harder but still rides well wet; of the cheakamus ones, highside/hi hi/business time/ampm. And the trails above alpine Meadows ; howler and Billy epic. Howlers probably my favourite wet ride, tough climb up though.

Posted: Aug 4, 2019 at 20:56 Quote
Please do not try to ride up Rick's Roost with your dog. That area is not dog-friendly as it is a water source.

Posted: Aug 6, 2019 at 19:56 Quote
kevin267 thanks for the solid advice!

If you are curious here’s what I did:

Day 1- up yummy nummy / down comfortably numb

Day 2 - up farside / down high side, HiHi, highline, business, ampm

Day 2 ride 2 - garbage/ rubbish/ trash

Day 3 - up piece of cake and a la mode / down 3 birds/ Danimal middle/ stone bridge to/ Danimal north/ hot dog alley/ lower sporatt/ 99er

Good times! Pooch loved it- drink plenty of water

99er was my favorite

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009642
Mobile Version of Website