Difficulty mounting Maxxis DHF on to Enve carbon rim

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Difficulty mounting Maxxis DHF on to Enve carbon rim
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 6:41 Quote
I am having a hell of a time getting a Minion DHF dd casing wide trail mounted on a Enve m7030 carbon rim. I've watched a few videos on tight tire mounting tips and know about getting the bead of the tire into the center channel of the rim to allow for more slack, but it isn't helping. Other than ditching the rims, any suggestions?

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 13:17 Quote
Enve rims are notorious for this issue. It's a challenge even with the EXO casing and near impossible with the DD or DH casings. You've just got to get some solid metal core tire levers and give it the business without destroying the rim tape. Good luck.

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 17:18 Quote
Small amount of baby powder on tire bead at carbon rim contact point and rugged tight fitting rubber coated gloves coaxed some Magic Mary’s into place

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 4:08 Quote
Ive had basically the same problem with a set of conti's. Took a while to get them on but i dont have enve's. If i recall correctly i used a stupid amount of soapy water. And i pull the tire down. I believe Seth from Seths bike hacks once mentioned it in a video.

So your problem is basically to get the bead in the rim. you can use tire levers BUT do NOT use full metal ones. just dont. Its okay to use levers with a steel core or whatever but no full metal levers. Your rims wont like that at all.

Another trick is when you have one side in. put the other side in till youve reached the last bit. Then it gets hard. you grab the tire there and pull it down on the opposite side. meaning you dont really try to pull the tire over the rim but you pull it down on the other side. that way you can use your weight as an advantage. if that make sense.

Seths bike hacks did it in a video once. it should be one of his 10 bike hacks video's.

There are also other tools available to get the tire over the rim. Dunno what theire called but id go for that once youve really had it.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 18:10 Quote
I use liquid soap and get it on bead good. You should be able to get 1st bead on w/o soap. Make sure tire is on in correct direction. This is one of those jobs where you need 3 hands. One tire lever needs to anchor one end while second one you work toward first. Good luck

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 18:29 Quote
mtengaio wrote:
I am having a hell of a time getting a Minion DHF dd casing wide trail mounted on a Enve m7030 carbon rim. I've watched a few videos on tight tire mounting tips and know about getting the bead of the tire into the center channel of the rim to allow for more slack, but it isn't helping. Other than ditching the rims, any suggestions?

What tape / strip are you using? I've seen a rim with two layers of Gorrilla Tape that was nearly impossible to mount; switched to one layer of Polyken 231 and tires slipped on without tools.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 4:46 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
mtengaio wrote:

What tape / strip are you using? I've seen a rim with two layers of Gorrilla Tape that was nearly impossible to mount; switched to one layer of Polyken 231 and tires slipped on without tools.
Ditch the rims, buy quality ALU rims, save $$$, buy tyre supply for few years from that difference Big Grin
Remember.... you will curse that stupid rims every time you change tyres (hopefully not multiple times in season... Big Grin

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 4:48 Quote
jetta2010 wrote:
I use liquid soap and get it on bead good. You should be able to get 1st bead on w/o soap. Make sure tire is on in correct direction. This is one of those jobs where you need 3 hands. One tire lever needs to anchor one end while second one you work toward first. Good luck

Same! I use the mucoff basic soap, slides right into place.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011764
Mobile Version of Website